4615 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 10/180 drive device busy, could not access

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

10/180 drive device busy, could not access

dear all,
i've got a 10/180 library problem. i could load a tape into drive 0, and then, when i tried to unload it using mc command, it said: device busy, and i could not access it using mt command, also saying device busy, but it was ok when i doing the same operation on the other drive in this 10/180 library. after that, i disconnected the scsi cable connecting to drive 0 to test the other drives, and when i reconnected the scsi cable to drive 0, i could not ioscan drive 0 in os, but i could still ioscan other drives. is that problem with drive 0's scsi interface or other possibilities?
another question: i could load tapes into other drives using mc command, but i could not unload those tapes directly after loading them, it told"media does not present",i have to run "mt -f /dev/rmt/*m offl" first, and then run mc command for unloading, then, it was fine. is that a usual circumstance or weird?

thank you for your reply, your reply will earn you high point.:)
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You say "drives" but are there DLT or Ultrium drives?

Regarding the load and directly unload after this - it takes (a lot) of time to load the tape into the drive and become ready - just be patient for a while. AFAIR it may be needed to do the "mt -f /dev/rmt/*m offl" command on this library (I'm not sure at the moment).

Regarding your drive 0 - consider a bad drive.

You may try to install LTT from http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools and get a support ticket for more information.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

your drive 0 issue seems to be some hardware issue. if you are sure the scsi cable, terminator are good, you can swap the drive with another one in the library to confirm if it's defective.

as for the mc command, are you able to see the movement in the library while you execute the command?
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

hi,
Torsten:it was an Ultrium drive. the load and unload procedure was not so long, maybe ten seconds each.
tkc:i could "see" the robot moving when i run mc commands, and the other 7 drives were ok, not considering the offline problem.
i will swap drive 0 and drive 1, which are connecting to the sam scsi-fibre switch(i don't know what it exactly called), if i still could ioscan new drive 0, but could not ioscan new drive 1, it could be problem caused by the drive. anyway, scsi cable may be another possibility.

thanks a lot
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

furthermore, could you please offer me some document about how to replace the drive of 10/180 library?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Sorry, no manual.

But I try from memory.

Open the side door and you will see the drives. Switch the drive power off. Remove the SCSI cable (beneath the drive). Loosen the screw on the left side of the drive canister. Pull the drive out (caution it is heavy!)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

hi stephen,

here :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=63828тМй=en&cc=us

and here :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=63828