1753365 Members
5955 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2/20 library DLT8000 firmware upgrade?

Masaki Birchmier
Frequent Advisor

2/20 library DLT8000 firmware upgrade?

We have an hp surestore 2/20 tape library connected to an N class hp-ux11 system.
I have not been able to update the DLT drive firmware (rev 20) to current (rev 59) using the HP tape tool (Can't find matching file). I do have the firmware files in the correct location! I was able to upgrade the library firmware to the current level using HP tape tools.
I also have tried to use STM to load the drivers with no success (errors getting the drives current firmware).

Thanks

Ross Noll
ross.h.noll@boeing.com
3 REPLIES 3
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Re: 2/20 library DLT8000 firmware upgrade?

There are two versions of V59 firmware, which differ in personality. The 2/20 library requires the file with the OML3 personality, not the OMX105 type.

You can go to the firmware function, and go to the 'local firmware files' - it should list all the locally available firmware files, and whether they are selectable for the the current device, and if not why they're not selectable.

If these suggestions don't help, please generate a LTT Tool Status Report (under the help manual) and send it to ltt_team@hp.com. That gives us more details to work with. Please also include the EventLog.ltt files from the logs folder of the LTT install directory.

Are you using the Windows or Unix version of LTT?
Masaki Birchmier
Frequent Advisor

I am using the Unix version of LLT.
The Firmware directory has the following files.
STM_DLT8000_V051_OML3.FRM
STM_DLT8000_V059_OML3.FRM

I am sending in the status report as requested and log files as requested.

Ross
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

OK, we figured out why this didn't work for you:

There are two types of firmware files, one set for the STM tool and one for the LTT tool.

You were using LTT, but the files you downloaded are for the STM tool. They are very similar, but have incompatible header signatures (unfortunately!).

We have not yet made specific bundles for LTT on UX, so in the meanwhile, please use the following procedure:

* Download the Windows firmware bundle (for LTT) and extract it. If you have an unzip tool for UX, you can do it there, otherwise you may have to take a detour with a PC.

It happens though that the library files are identical, which is why your library upgrade worked, but the drive files encode the personality values, and that is why they don't work interchangeably.