1748195 Members
2650 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A4846A giving unknown device

Steve Huizenga
Frequent Advisor

A4846A giving unknown device

I have an A4846A with 5 DLT7000s, one of the DLTs failed with ioscan of NO_HW. I sent the drive out to be cleaned and repaired. When replaced, ioscan showed CLAIMED. LTT diagnostics passed. I can read and write a scratch tape with tar and dd. When I try and scan a tape with Omniback II 3.5 I get error trying to access unknown device. I know the setup is right, because I moved a working drive into it's spot and everything is OK. Do I need to register this drive with the A4846A? Am I missing something simple?
2 REPLIES 2
Christopher Rupnik
Valued Contributor

By chance did the devices files change after you replaced the drive? If you perform an ioscan -kfnC tape ensure that the same device files (/dev/rmt/2mn or whatever you have) is what omniback thinks the device is.

There is no magic here. Omniback just uses the device file you specify. There needs to be no registering. If tar and dd work, then omniback will also.

Take care
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Run a scan for new tape drives within sam. There's a way to do this on the command line, I just can't remember offhand. Watch for any new devices being created within /dev/rmt - it may even clear up the old one, again I can't remember for sure.

The main thing I can think of as to why Omniback may not be able to access this is if it's not on the same /dev/rmt/entry as it was previously (and if you can access it correctly, then you can ignore the paragraph above). Check this and update the configuration within OmniBack to point to the right entry.

HTH...
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.