108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A5585A Surestore DLT 4/40 Library Firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adey
Advisor

A5585A Surestore DLT 4/40 Library Firmware update

I am trying to find out the best way of updating the firmware on the DLT drives.

Can it be done loading from a DLT tape in each drive rather than running the Tape Tools program.

Also the controller is running firmware 1.4.10, do I need to update the firmware to the latest version when updating the DLT drives, or is the old firmware on the controller compatable with the latest DLT Library drive firmware.

Regards

Adrian
11 REPLIES 11
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
you can run L&TT form a host that can have access to the library, and the tool will take care about wich version of FW you have to load
option is to use the RMC (Remote Management Card) and log in the Web interface, there you will have an option to upgrade FW
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I am trying to find out the best way of updating the firmware on the DLT drives.

1) HP Library & Tape Tools
2) FUP tape
3) STM on HP-UX

You can use HP L&TT on a system with a DLT drive attached to create the FUP tape. It's one of the included tests.

> Also the controller is running firmware 1.4.10, do I need to update the firmware to the latest version when updating the DLT drives ...

Technically no. The library & drive firmware are for the most part indendent. The only library requirement is that the firmware on all drives be the same revision (otherwise you will get a partial availability warning).

That said, I'd recommend updating to 1.60. It includes a number of reliability improvements. You can use the "details" button in L&TT "get files from web" to see the changes in 1.52 and 1.60 firmware.

A replier said:

> ... option is to use the RMC

Actually that only works for library code and HP LTO drives. The DLT drives do not support firmware update over the library serial interface.
The journey IS the reward.
Adey
Advisor

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I have connected a DLT up to a system running tape tools, but I don't get the option to create the FUP tape. It doesn't appear under the tests after I have selected the dlt drive.

There is a test DLT_FW.tst file in the scripts folder. Do I have to do anything to get tape tools to see it.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> I have connected a DLT up to a system running tape tools, but I don't get the option to create the FUP tape. It doesn't appear under the tests after I have selected the dlt drive.

> There is a test DLT_FW.tst file in the scripts folder. Do I have to do anything to get tape tools to see it.

Yes, that's the right test. I'm guessing you may have pulled an updated version of the test script from the web (with "Get Files from Web"). We had problem a few days ago where the scripts were published in a compressed form, and when pulled by LTT they get corrupted. We republished the files uncompressed. If you go to File -> Get Files from Web, and then redownload the "DLT Firmware Tape creator" script, it should then show up as a selectable test. Probably should redownload all the scripts. There should be 9 selectable tests for a DLT tape drive.
Adey
Advisor

I re-downloaded the DLT Firmware Creation Test. Ensured I had a "firmware.frm" file in the Firmware directory. I still do not get the option to create a DLT fup tape.

The options I get under tests are:

DLT acceptance
Device Analysis
Connectivity
Media Analysis
Media Validation
Read/Write
Devie Self test

Any more suggestions ?

Thanks
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

>I re-downloaded the DLT Firmware Creation Test. Ensured I had a "firmware.frm" file in the Firmware directory.

It doesn't check for the firmware.frm file until the test starts running, so that's not the problem.

> I still do not get the option to create a DLT fup tape.

Interesting. Are you sure you didn't grab the DLT1 firmware tape creator script?

The DLT_FW.tst should be a 14K file, and it should be plain text if you open it with notepad.

> The options I get under tests are:

You're missing two script-based tests:
DLT firmware tape creator
| DLT_FW.tst
Data compression test
| Compression-test.tst

Delete those files and redownload them.

If that doesn't solve the problem, go to Help, click on tool status report, and then email it to ltt_team@hp.com (and mention this thread).
Adey
Advisor

I've have just sent the E-Mail to the ltt team.

I have deleted and downloaded both files and they can be read as text files with notepad, but I still do not get the option to create the Firmware tape.

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

OK, thanks Adrian. I'm looking it over right now.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

OK, I was thrown off by your earlier statement:

> A5585A Surestore DLT 4/40 Library Firmware update

The 4/40 only supports DLT8000 drives, which are supported by all the scripts.

From the tool status report:
> 2/0.6.0:Tape:"Quantum DLT4000 CPQ DRV"

This is a premerger Compaq DLT4000. The test currently handles only the Quantum generic DLT4000 drives ("Quantum DLT4000") used by premerger HP. We can get the test updated to include the premerger Compaq drives as well.

We can email you an updated test most likely tomorrow morning (and we'll post it on the web shortly thereafter).