StoreEver Tape Storage
1753674 Members
5182 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

AIT Tape Drive Support Under HPUX? Data Compression?

Steve Heck

AIT Tape Drive Support Under HPUX? Data Compression?

From our testing we found that a driver can be built under HPUX 11.0 that supports the SDX-300C -> Data Compression (DC) supported. The problem is that when we build a driver for the Sony SDX-500C DC is disabled via Mode Select PC 0Fh Byte 2 = 0x40. It is apparent that the OS recognizes the SDX-300C but not the SDX-500C. I have SCSI traces that show that the that DC is being turned off via Mode Select. Is there any way to get a patch to support the SDX-500C and future AIT drives? I think this would be a very minor fix because everything is already present for the SDX-300C. Also in HPUX 10.20 both SDX-300C & SDX-500C disable DC.
4 REPLIES 4
AMSA Unix Admin
Advisor

Re: AIT Tape Drive Support Under HPUX? Data Compression?

Did this ever get worked out? I am having the same compression problem on AIT-3 (SDX-700C). TIA.

Chuck Davis
Christopher LaPlante_1
Frequent Advisor

I am also getting the same compression problem with AIT3 SDX-700C. Has anyone gotten hardware compression to work with HP-UX 11 and AIT3?
Terry Davlin

My AIT-3 is now working with 11.11 on our rp5470. For me the fix was to install the stape/kernel patch PHKL_28217. I created a no-rewind device file,

mksf -d stape -I 0 -v -b 48 -c 3 -n /dev/rmt/c6t0d0D48C3nb

and can put 245gb with vxdump. So far, all restores have been successful, too.

Good luck!
Judith
Terry Davlin

My SDX-700C is now working with 11.11 on our rp5470. For me, the fix was to install the stape/kernel patch PHKL_28217. I created a no-rewind device file,

mksf -d stape -I 0 -v -b 48 -c 3 -n /dev/rmt/c6t0d0D48C3nb

and can put at least 245gb on an AIT-3 tape with vxdump. So far, all restores have been successful, too.

Good luck,
Judith