StoreEver Tape Storage
1748052 Members
4636 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Also having trouble w/ tape drive & WinXP

Terry Burton

Also having trouble w/ tape drive & WinXP

I have an HP Surestore T20e SCSI tape backup drive. I have recently upgraded from Win98 to WinXP Pro. The tape drive is recognized and appears to be functional, according to the Device Manager. But how do I interface with the drive to backup and restore? I need urgently to be able to access my backed-up data! Thanks for any help.
3 REPLIES 3
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Terry:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but backups made with Win98 cannot be read by WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305381&Product=winxp

To resolve this behavior, restore the data from the tape or file by using Msbackup on a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me. Do you have another system with Win98?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Terry Burton

Ouch - that is not good news, for sure. The reason I used the tape backup was because I had large video files that I needed to save ... larger than would fit on a CD. So even if I had a Win98 machine, I think I would still be hosed. Esp. since the tape drive is SCSI ... I would have to pull the SCSI card out of my computer and install it in the Win98 machine, restore the files, then I could move the restored files if the Win98 machine was networked to my computer ... I think I'm hosed. But thank you very much for your prompt reply - at least the mystery is solved.
Matthew Delaney
Occasional Advisor

You had the T20 working with 98, so I assume you have the drivers. This a bit if a long way around, but tryusing a partition or put in a small drive just for 98 and use a dual boot. Restore in your 98 partition/ drive and use the admin account in XP to take admin rights from your 98 set up and you should have your files.... Bit long but should work....
"In my office the defecation regularly hits the rotary oscillator"