108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Autoloader 1/9 and B/E 8.6 tape selection

SOLVED
Go to solution
John D'Crus

Autoloader 1/9 and B/E 8.6 tape selection

Hello all,

What is currently occurring is the backup software does not have the Autoloader option and views the autoloader as a single tape unit. I have the autoloader in stacker mode and when the backup job finishes the tape is 'ejected' but the a random tape is then loaded instead of the next days tape. I have labeled all the tapes according to the day of the week and when I change tapes I run the inventory so the autoloader knows what tapes are loaded and where.

Sorry for being long winded.

John
8 REPLIES 8
Curtis C. Ballard
Occasional Advisor
Solution

A few more details would be helpful. You indicate that you label the tapes with the days of the week and do an inventory so the autoloader knows where they are. If you are refering to a Bacup Exec label or a barcode label the autoloader won't actually use that information. How are you labeling the tapes?

In stacker mode the autoloader is supposed to start with whichever tape is currently loaded and when that tape is ejected automatically load the tape in the next sequentially numbered slot.

You indicate that a "random" tape is getting loaded. Does that mean that the tape being loaded isn't from the next higher numbered slot?
John D'Crus

I have labeled the tapes through Backup Exec as the barcode reader option was not purchased.

The unit loads a random tape instead of the next tape in sequence as it is supposed to in stacker mode.

John
Curtis C. Ballard
Occasional Advisor

Is this an HP 1/9 autoloader? That is the only 1/9 I know of but the barcode reader isn't an option on the HP 1/9.

I've verified that the HP 1/9 is supposed to move a tape from the next full slot to the drive after the unload.

If you can give me the make, model, and firmware revision of the autoloader you are using I'll see if I can run some tests we have quite a few different autoloaders around.
John D'Crus

The product ID is C7145 and the firmware is 2.33.0. It is an HP 1/9 autoloader in stacker mode.

Appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

John
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The C7145 product comes standard with a barcode reader, and the 2.33 firmware is currently the latest. The only known issue with the C7145 current firmware is detecting blue cartridges without labels. Occasionally the barcoded will see these as empty slots. The workaround is to always use a label. We hope to have future firmware which will resolve this.

Which version of BUE & which OS are you using?
The journey IS the reward.
John D'Crus

This particular model does not have the barcode reader. We are using Veritas BackupExec 8.6 and W2K server. The tapes are HP and Compaq and are black. I do have labels on every tape.

Thanks

John
John D'Crus

Oops. Sorry about the points awarded. I should have completely read the screen. :)

First time posting a question.

John
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The barcode reader is integrated into the 1/9 series. That is, every 1/9 has a barcode reader. In addition to reading labels, it is used to inventory the tapes. Just to make sure we are talking about the same product, here's the marketing URL: http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/automatedbackup/autoloaders/19series_tape/index.html

(the pdf says "an integrated barcode reader automatically keeps track of tapes").

The older 1/8 products (418, 718, 818), and the new VS80 tape autoloader 1/8 do NOT have barcode reading.
The journey IS the reward.