StoreEver Tape Storage
1752604 Members
4864 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Autoloader 1/9 shuts down

Jerry Lane

Autoloader 1/9 shuts down

Have a Surestore Autolaoder 1/9 DLT which never gave any problems. Now seems to autoshutdown at random. LCD Panel goes blank, Orange Status bar is on solid.
Have upgarded F/w from 2.33 to 2.53 and tape tools reports no errors/ issues with the unit. Anyone ever come across this before???

Thx,
J
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Autoloader 1/9 shuts down

Jerry,
more information needed: can you recover autoloder powering it off and then on? Or whatever you do it stays blank and solid yellow?
If these problems are intermittent please try to track any cause or behavior patterned event which may influence autoloader behavior and make it behaving this way
Eugeny
Jerry Lane

Hi Eugeny, Yep I can recover the unit, by powering it off for approx 5 mins then restarting it. Unit restarts, does an inventory and is ready to go. Did some test backups yesterday morning which it did OK. Then I left it powered on all night, and it stayed on.
Since I have come in today (its now on my desk) it has shut itself down twice, while there was no activity on it or the connected PC. Similar activity when it was on a different Server before the BIOS upgrades.
Odd one!!!

J
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Jerry,
generate LTT support ticket and attach to your next reply renaming it to .txt before.
Check internal/external temperature, all fans at the back are rotating and not very dusty (you may see hard layer of dust on their blades). If library will do it again then check fans are rotating again at that time.
Eugeny
Jerry Lane

Eugeny,
Support ticket is attached.
When the unit stops, the fan for the DLT 8000 drive stops rotating, the remaing fan continues rotating until the unit is plugged out. Curent temp is approx external 25c/77F or internal 24c/75F.
Would have been low 20's when in the server room.
Unit is dust free.

Regards,
Jerry.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Drive started requesting cleaning about 3 tousands power on hours ago. So please clean it or drive will die soon. DLT drives should be cleaned as they ask.
I do not see anything critical in the support ticket. Only read errors, and drive asks for cleaning.
But if you clean drive as it asks for (did not see such events, so I assume you do not clean drive) and drive asks more cleaning in short period of time, then consider driver replacement calling HP.
Please insert one cleaning tape into the library (instead of one of the data tape)
Eugeny
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Oh please excuse me drive was cleaned on Feb 10th (one week ago). But anyway, not cleaning drive for long time may mean drive failure in near future. As soon as library shutdowns drive (as you stated) maybe drive assembly is a problem? I would connect library to good known card with 'good behaving' SCSI but to see it library will do the same. Please refer for HP recommended SCSI cards http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html
If it will not help I would call HP support for drive replacement
Eugeny