New Discussion юеВ

Autoloader Tape Selection

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

Autoloader Tape Selection

Hi,

I really would like to know how autoloader 1/8 select the next tape.

I use 2 dlt tapes a day, and the 8th slot is used for cleaning tape. I have lables on the tape, with protection and non-appendable. So the sequence of the tape is important.

I just don't know how the autoloader find the next one.

Also, when you re-use the tape that passes the protection period, do you have to issue the 'retire' command first?

Thanks,
Steven
Steve
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Autoloader Tape Selection

Autoloader and tapes inside are managed by backup utility. Autoloader receives simple commands like "take tape from slot 3 and insert it into the drive". Which backup application do you use?
Eugeny
Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

I am using Omniback II.

Does it take the slot order for tape selection, like:

slot 1,2,3 out, 4,5,6,7 is available. But you insert 3 tapes into slot 1,2,3 again and initialize them with the order after the 7th slot tape#.

Because it does not have barcode function, and the tape lables have to be in consistence with the initialized number, so it is important.

Can you also tell me if we need to retire the tape for re-usage?

Thanks.

Steve
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Steven,
it should be your backup policy when tape should be retired and when reused. I believe there's an option to set these values in OmniBack. But to check it please consult with Gurus from OmniBack management software ITRC forum section http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/CategoryHome/1,,251,00.html . As to DLT tapes lifecycle, look at http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/storagemedia/tape_dlt/faqs.html . Please use cleaning tape only when drive asks cleaning. Do not overclean drive. And retire cleaning tape when it expires (20 uses)
Eugeny
Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

Sorry, I mean recycle, or reuse the tapes. Do we have to issue recycle before using the tape ( after the tape protection period is over)?
Steve
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Looks like this question is about OmniBack backup utility configuration/operation... you would better ask it in OmniBack section. I believe you'll get faster and better support on this application there.
If you believe it's storage hardware/firmware question, then please explain what do you mean telling 'issue recycle'
Eugeny