3481 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Autoloader in Windows2000 backup

Gary Yau
Occasional Advisor

Autoloader in Windows2000 backup

Hi,

Will autoloader switch to the next available tape when the one it is using has been filled up. How can I tell inside Windows 2000 built-in backup program?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Autoloader in Windows2000 backup

Please take a look into W2k help topics "managing libraries" and "managing media pools". Generally all these tasks can be done using RSM (removable storage management) from 'computer management' utility
Eugeny
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Re: Autoloader in Windows2000 backup

This all depends.

Firstly, is this a tape stacker or a tape library? If it's a stacker, you might be lucky and find that it'll autoload the next tape when the first one fills up - I'm not sure since I've never actually seen one after 5 years working in the backup industry. More likely it's a tape library, in which case it will need to be instructed to eject the first tape and load another after the full one is offlined by the software.

Sadly - or perhaps not - I've no idea about Windows native backup utility. If RSM is configured for your devices, then I'd guess it will get another tape if one's assigned that way.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.