108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backing up changes only?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karen Miller
Occasional Advisor

Backing up changes only?

I ran my back up through a cleaning disk and also used a new tape. Now it will back up but only changed files. It locks up on anything else. My question is, is such a backup (changes only) generally sufficient enough for backup safety?

Thank you

Karen
3 REPLIES 3
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Karen.
FIrst you must have a complete backup.
Then you can start incremental backups
( backup of changes only ).
But you should do a complete backup once a week
and incrementals for the rest, if you like it that way. Safest is complete backup, whenever possible.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Karen Miller
Occasional Advisor

Thank you re the safest backup but I am still stuck in that I cannot do a full backup. First I am having trouble disabling my screen saver - how do I do that?

Then it locks up on files such as the back-up program (Colorado HP) itself.

I am using a new tape and it has no trouble at all backing up changes only.

Thanks again.

Karen
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

What platform are you using, i.e. HPUX, NT, LINUX...

What backup utility are you using (i.e NTBACKUP, Legato Networker, ArcServe, Omniback...)

What are you backing up (ie. C: drive, /STAND...)

What else is running on the box (ie. Antivirus, Oracle, Exchange, Informix...)

Try a smaller scenario - backup one file, or one directory. Then try two... exclude directories that cause problems... then figure out why later.

I assume you are on a windows platform (w95, w98, ME, nt4, nt2k) - windows in general has more 'open files' issues then UX platforms - clsoe any applications that you can close (ie shutdown Word, Excel, Exchange, SQL) and EXCLUDE directories where you KNOW things will be 'in use') The smae basic advice applies to UX - an Oracle database won't backup from a filesystem backup - unless oracle is 'down.'

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...