New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Encryption

SOLVED
Go to solution
steve hasler
Advisor

Backup Encryption

Hi,

I am looking for a simple hardware backup encryption solution that would be compatible with VMS and Tru64, simple hardware solution which would involve no changes/additions to our current backup methods / software, so therefore I have been looking at LTO4 with MSL encryption kit ??
I cannot find any detailed info, can this kit plug straight into a single (external) LTO4 tape drive?
any help / advice appreciated
Thanks
Steve
7 REPLIES 7
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think this is a separate "kit." The LTO-4 drive supports native encryption. There are several ways to manage the keys used for the encryption/decryption process. See:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA1-4878ENW.pdf

The cheapest (and least secure) method of using LTO4 native encryption is the "set it and forget it" method described in the whitepaper above. This method requires no H/W or S/W beyond the LTO4 drive itself. Other methods require that either your backup app is smart enough to manage the keys or require extra H/W.
steve hasler
Advisor

Mark

Thanks for the prompt reply, this option looks good. Can I just ask, if we needed to read the tapes on another LTO4 drive (DR scenario, original tape drive developes a fault etc) is it just a case of entering the same encryption key again ?

Thanks
Steve
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have attached the Product Kit and the user guide with this email for your reference. This will make you understand that how this whole thing works.

Regards,
Sunny

P:S - Rate solutions with points. It keeps us going.
sselaya

How can this be enabled (set it and forget it) if we are using a stand alone LTO-4 attached to the HP D2D4004i product. Everything I read here only applies if are attached to a tape library
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Set and forget requires some software support for entering the keys and isn't a very secure method since a lot of events can clear the encryption settings so HP doesn't offer utilities for using set and forget.

The LTO4 MSL encryption kit is the simplest solution but as you have found requires at least a 1/8 G2 autoloader.

For standalone drives you have to have some sort of software solution. I don't know which VMS or True64 software has encryption control capability. It's almost certain that your current software won't so the autoloader or MSL library is probably the best solution.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

You can try using the program I posted here...

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1171171
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
steve hasler
Advisor

Hi All

Thanks for your help / comments, I think I will look at LTO4+Encryption kit.

Regards
Steve