108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup Exec 11d does not find MSL6030

SOLVED
Go to solution
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Backup Exec 11d does not find MSL6030

MSL6030 + e1200 + 2xUltrium460 drivers is not recognized by Backup Exec 11d build 7170 on x64 enterpise windows. Operating system recognizes the MSL as unknown medium changer and both drives are installed. Backup exec only sees the drives and gives an error about:

ADAMM configuration warning.
The device driver may not be installed for device :
Identifier : COMPAQ MSL6000 Series 0520.
Type : MediumChangerPeripheral.

Any idea why won't the backup exec find the library?

-Miika
25 REPLIES 25
MSECO_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Backup Exec 11d does not find MSL6030

Try installing this driver
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/265139.htm
Keep learning!!!
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Hi Miika,

Please install the driver for the Mediaum Changer from the below link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040&prodNameId=316054&swEnvOID=1060&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-44137-2

Once the driver is installed, ensure that the changer is recognised on the device manager.
Once done, Delete all the detected devices( I assume that the 2 tape drives are listed on bakup exec)
Re-configure backup exec and The changer and the drives would be detected.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Prabhu

Miika T
Valued Contributor

MSECO,

the driver you are referring to is to an old version. We are using BE11d build 7170.

Prabhulj,

I used this driver for the E1200 storage router, but then I decided to remove the storage router from e1200 mappings and used indexed presentation / zoning just to display the device to everyine in the zone (I only have one backup server and library in the zone). So the e1200 storage router disappeared from device manager.

Symantec/Veritas support suggested that I should install a device driver for the MSL6030 library, as it is diplayed as unknown medium changer. I disagree with this, as I suppose there is any specific driver for MSL6000 series, only for the tape drives.

I can't remember, if Symantec tapeinst displayes the library on the driver installation, as I can only see the drives:

Finding tape devices
Finding plug and play tape device names
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialHP______Ultrium_2-SCSI__F68W
Hardware ID = SCSI\SequentialHP______Ultrium_2-SCSI__F68W
Finding IDE plug and play device instances
Finding SCSI plug and play device instances
Finding Symantec device drivers
Hardware scan complete.

-Miika
Uli B├╢hm
Frequent Advisor

Hi Miika,

at http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18619.html you find the driver for your MSL. Please clear the Indexed map the E1200 and fill map ( Target / Bus for Windows xxxx). Please verify that the Removable Storage Manager is disabled!
Does LTT find all devices?

Regards
Uli
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Uli,

the softpack included the Ultrium drive drivers, but not the library driver (I suppose none exist). Unfortunately, this did not change the situation how Backup Exec sees the devices. Operating system still recognizes the MSL as Unknown Medium Changer and both Ultrium drives display ok under Tape devices.

HP Support suggested not to use the mapping, as there are no other servers in the zone that can see the MSL.

-Miika
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Hi Miika,

Try re-configuring the Mapping to Indexed, and it should list the Changer,the two tape drives and the Cntrlr.

On Port settings of the NSR for FC port, Check if "use hard_ALPA" is disabled.

Driver - Tape/Automation Devices

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040&swItem=co-47872-2&prodNameId=463669&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Is L&TT able to recognise the Library and drives?

Regards,
Prabhu
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Prabhulj,

LTT can see all devices fine. So I and HP support thought it is not the mapping that causes the BE not to see the device. Use Hard AL_PA is disabled though.

The baseline was the the MSL was connected to another server that is running Arcserve. I upgraded the library and tape firmwares and zoned the msl for a new server. I removed the mapping and new server device manager & ltt sees the devices, but be can't configure / see the library. If I zone the msl back to Arcserve zone, arcserve sees the msl fine and can use it (and no mapping is present).

-Miika
Uli B├╢hm
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

the "right" mapping is important; do you see 4 devices in your map > AF, MSL and both drives? Have you checked http://support.veritas.com/docs/252041 ?
What about LTT status?

Regards
Uli
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Uli,

I've checked out the Veritas article. But I've understood that there is no device driver for MSL6000 series other than Unknown medium changer and of course the tape drive drivers. BE tapeinst only installs the for the drives, not the changer.

I had the storage router as indexed, but it was removed from the view, as when it was there, the situation was the same. Now the device index is this:

FC LUN Protocol Bus Device Specific Address Type Status Device Description
0 PSCSI 0 Target= 0 Lun= 0 CHGR UP COMPAQ MSL6000 Series 0518
1 PSCSI 0 Target= 1 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F68W
2 PSCSI 1 Target= 2 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F68W

And as mentioned earlier, LTT sees the MSL, and two drives fine.

-Miika