1748180 Members
3970 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup Exec not recognising HP autoloader as Robotic lib

Chris Haskins

Backup Exec not recognising HP autoloader as Robotic lib

Hi,

We have a HP StorageWorks 1/8 autoloader backup tape drive and we are trying to get the autoloader side of things working. The backup software we are using is Veritas Backup Exec. When trying to add HP as a device backup exec sees it as a standlone device and not a robotic library. Any ideas what we could be doing wrong?

Cheers

Chris
15 REPLIES 15
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

what is your OS?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Chris Haskins

Sorry I should have mentioned it's Windows Server 2003.

Thanks

Chris
Paul Goldsmith

I have had the same issue with an HP Robotic library and two internal drives. Our operating system was Netware using Backup Exec but the OS was not the issue.

HP recommends that the robot MUST be on a lower SCSI ID than any of the drives. In fact they recommend the robot be on SCSI ID 2. Until I followed this advice I too saw the drives as standalone.

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The most likely cause of this error is that you have one of the newer (last 2-3 years) LUN mode 1/8 autoloaders and have connected it to an array controller. Almost no parallel SCSI array controllers support LUN mode.

There are quite a few varieties of 1/8. Can you say which you have? Most of them are 2U high and the drive type determines whether they are LUN mode or not. The newer ones are the 1/8 G2 and are 1U high and always LUN mode.

Contray to what one of the previous posters said, if the library is a dual ID device, HP does not recommend that the library have a lower SCSI ID than the drive. Quite the opposite the library ID should always be higher than the drive so move commands can be serviced during periods of high drive activity. If there is a problem with a device not showing up changing the ID's fequenty fixes the problem if there is an ID conflict somewhere.
Regi

I too have the same problem. I have a 1/8 Tape Autoloader. The device manager recognizes the HP auto tape loader and the tape drive as HP Ultrium-1 Drive. But in Backup Exec 10 with SP5 it gets configured as stand-alone drive. Previously the SCSI id of the drive was 5 and robot 0. The problem persists even if i change the scsi id of drive to 2 and robot as 5. Pls. can anyone help.
chris barnett_2
Frequent Advisor

The 1/8 operates in two modes.
Autochanger mode.
This appears to the O/S like a standalone tape drive. In autochanger mode the 1/8 will write to the end of the first tape, the automatically load the next tape for you. The 1/8 will hide the robot from the O/S. So for instance in this mode if it say had a 100GB Ultrium 1 drive fitted, to the O/S it would appear to be a 800GB tape drive.
Library mode.
This changes the device into a typical type tape library, you will see the tape drive, the 8 tape slots and the robot in the O/S and backup application.

You can change modes through the front panel.

Phoenix Systems

I'm having the same issue. I'm using a U320 SCSI HBA part number 374654 and I only see the standalone drive in Backup Exec 10d.
AndreaMennini
Occasional Advisor

I have this problem too, with a DL380G4 and a Q1566A into a 274338-B21 rackmount connected to the array SCSI adapter via a 68-pin HD/VHDCI, 12 ft/3.66 m cable part number 341177-B21

What should I do? Do I only need to work on SCSI ID (as per previous posts), since the configuration should work or must I install a separate HBA in order to have autoloader recognized well? In this case, what HBA? 374654-B21 - Single-Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2 is ok?

Thanks
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Regarding the two previous postings:

BE 10d will not see the library LUN unless the proper driver package is installed with the BE library driver. If the OS reports the device and the backup app doesn't you need to check the app configurations.

This product should never be connected to an array controller. Any HP SCSI HBA that is supported in your server will work with the library. We test all of them.