Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failing

Matthew Lock
Occasional Visitor

Backup Failing

Hi,

I am running BE v10 on a Windows 2003 Server utilising a StorageWorks Ultrium 460 External. Recently the backup has started to fail with the following message:

Verify- \\\C: Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.
Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
This could be caused by either a dirty tape drive, bad media, or a SCSI problem.
V-79-57344-33991 - The media is bad.

We have approx 60 of these tapes and although we have used 10 so far, they are all having problems. We are backing up approx 247GB of data.

Attached error logs.

The tape drive has been cleaned but has made no difference. BExec has the latest Veritas Drivers installed for the tape drive and have checked SCSI Termination (Using Active Termination).

Please help

Matt


2 REPLIES
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Re: Backup Failing

Hello Matt,

You can use the HP Diagnostic tool for Tapes, L&TT to check what is going wrong. You will have to download the tool from the location http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=406731&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=406729&prodTypeId=12169

and you can get the user manual from the link http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=101&docIndexId=179911&contentType=SupportManual
TypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406729

After you install L&TT you can run the test provided by LTT. You can run a test by name "Media Analysis Test". This should tell you how good is your media.
If you are suspecting an issue with the drive then you can run the "LTO Assessment test" provided by LTT.

If you have any issues in using LTT, you can always contact ltt.team@hp.com.

Thanks,
Srivathsan
Matthew Lock
Occasional Visitor

Re: Backup Failing

Thanks very much for the reply.

I have managed to get it working but am unsure as to how long this will work.

I found a fix that wasn't related to SCSI but ATAPI IDE.

In the properties of the device on BE, I disabled Write SCSI passthrough.

The backup has now worked for the last 3 days.