StoreEver Tape Storage
1753783 Members
6968 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup Problems with MSL 2024

Christian Taveras

Backup Problems with MSL 2024

I think my fibre ports may be going back but wanted to check with the forums.

I currently have a 2024 connect via Fibre to a dell box. That del box is connect to SANS via Fibre. All 2.3TB of Data is sitting on the SANS. I used to be able to do an entire back up in one night (14hr 23Min @ 4381MB/Min).

Now back up the exact same data the fastet the drive now goes is between 685MB & 943MB/Min.
It seemes like my fibre port are going bad??
2 REPLIES 2
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

Re: Backup Problems with MSL 2024

Hello Christian, you are not giving much information regarding the drive model, but I guess it is LTO-3 or LTO4. Your performance first was ok. When this drive drop below the minimum native data rate, the drives loose very fast the performance. This is because they are doing start/stops now. This means they stop movement than have to rewind and start writing again if enough data is in the buffer. This is bad to drive and media.

To troubleshoot your problem you might use the tools from the following page. This also might help you later to get even more out of your backup device:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50460#A2
I put you into the middle of the document, because the troubleshooting flowchart really help to find your problem and also bottleneck in general.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Ralf.
Christian Taveras

Re: Backup Problems with MSL 2024

Thanks much Ralf I will check the link and see if it helps.