5856 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup Running Slow

Marvike
Frequent Advisor

Backup Running Slow

Hi All,
One of my two HP-UNIX server SAN backup(server1 & server2) is running slow.Even though there is no error while taking backup.Previously my server backup was completing within 1 Hours but now it takes 4-7 hours to complete.

I have also observed that when my other HP-UX and window server backup is running at same time with above two server(server1 & server2) it take 4-7 Hours to complete and when only two above server(server1 & server2) backup is running with no other backup it complete within 1hour.

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Backup Running Slow

What software are you using to backup, DP?
Are there more files to backup now?
What kind of device(s) records the data?
Marvike
Frequent Advisor

I m using the DP 6.11.
No there is no major change in backup size.
We are having ESL712 TL with LTO3 and LTO4 drive and we are using LTO3 tapes to backup the data.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

I've seen backups slow down a lot when there were folders with huge amounts of small files. These were log file and every day the backup took just a little longer.
This was on windows but perhaps it can also happen on HP UX. Just my to cents
Marvike
Frequent Advisor

Now I created new backup specification with following setup protection at filesystem options to "none" and the catalog protection to "same as data protection" and my bakup start running faster.
My previous of backupspecification was protection at filesystem options to "permanent" and the catalog protection to "same as data protection" and my bakup start running faster. and finish within 1 hour
Marvike
Frequent Advisor

Now I created new backup specification with following setup protection at filesystem options to "none" and the catalog protection to "same as data protection" and my bakup start running faster.
My previous of backupspecification was protection at filesystem options to "permanent" and the catalog protection to "same as data protection" and my bakup start running faster. and finish within 1 hour.