5364 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backup over SAN

Lyndon Frei
Advisor

Backup over SAN

Hi

I'm desperately trying to get my SAN setup to run with BrightStor ARCserve v9 to run.

My all Compaq Setup looks like this:
ProLiant ML370 G2
64bit/66MHz FC HBA
FC SAN Switch 16-EL
NSR m2402
4 SDLT 110/220 TapeDrives in a 5U Array

Win2k and ARCserve see the tape drives and can format the mounted media. But as soon as I start a backup ARCserve reports a media disconnect and a controller failure or hardware error.

Now the rest of the SAN with RA4100 storage works just fine. I think the troublemaker is the storage router. Not sure if it's configured correctly, actually works quite automatic.

But I noticed that the 4 tape drive get the same TargetID within Win2k. Can that work?
As when connected directly to the server over SCSI they all get e separate TargetID and backup works flawlessly.

Anybody got this setup to run?!?

TIA
7 REPLIES 7
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Backup over SAN

Lyndon: I'm worried that no-one seems to have answered your query. The HP guys are normally lightning fast. You've got the SAN option installed, and in Arcserve Device Manager you can see the 4 tape drives (they'll have the same SCSI id, but different LUNs)?
If so, and formatting and erasing is fine, then yes, I'd bee looking at the data router/fibre/SCSI bridge, firmware and settings. What firmware do you have in the NSR? This setup normally works fine with BAB9.
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

Lyndon: I'm worried that no-one seems to have answered your query. The HP guys are normally lightning fast. You've got the SAN option installed, and in Arcserve Device Manager you can see the 4 tape drives (they'll have the same SCSI id, but different LUNs)?
If so, and formatting and erasing is fine, then yes, I'd bee looking at the data router/fibre/SCSI bridge, firmware and settings. What firmware do you have in the NSR? This setup normally works fine with BAB9.
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

If so, and formatting and erasing is fine, then yes, I'd be looking at the data router/fibre/SCSI bridge, firmware and settings. What firmware do you have in the NSR? This setup normally works fine with BAB9.
Glenn Weavind_1
Frequent Advisor

Lyndon: I'm concerned that no-one seems to have answered your plea - the HP guys are normally lightning fast.
What you have should work fine: with the SAN option installed, BAB Device Manager will show four drives, with the same SCSI ids, but different LUNs. If you can format/erase but not backup to the drives, I'd be looking at the NSR: check firmware, settings etc.
Worth checking through the certified device list on support.ca.com for supported firmware/drivers on your HBAs, NSR and tape drives. There has been an append issue with a revision of f/w for the SDLT1 drive, fixed by a later firmware revision.
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

From the little I know of this subject, I know that backup switch port zones need to be separately set up from regular zones, but you'd probably get a more erudite response if you posted this question in the SAN forum.
dentistcorn
Regular Advisor

To the best of my knowledge, the 64/66 HBA you have (the one for the RA4100) is not supported for swicthes, only HUBs.

OngHL

My advice is to get hold of the following Storageworks Enterprise Backup Solution PDF file ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/ebs/342250e1.pdf especially page 34 onwards.

Verify if your environment is in the supportability matrix in SAN & CA ArcServe.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/san/documentation.html
http://esupport.ca.com/index.html?/public/storage/ascdls.asp
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/san/AV-RNZEM-TE.pdf

I don't think NSR is the culprit here but more of the fact that the Compaq 64bit HBA itself may not be in supported list if you want to do a SAN backup.

Regards,...OHL.