1753481 Members
4872 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Backward Comatibility

chaitanya agashe

Backward Comatibility

I have DDS4 DAT drive.
I normally use DDS4 40/80 GB media to take the backups. According to manuals,DDS4 has the backward comptibility with DDS2.

However when I try DDS2 cartidge on NT 4.0 Server,(which was created on another DDS2 drive & OS was NT 4.0 Server)I get a message foreign tape"Tape should be erased..."

Hence I changed the 3rd configuration switch of my DDS4 drive as per the manual.
Still the problem couldn't be solved.
Whats the problem??
Networking People
2 REPLIES 2
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Backward Comatibility

Hi there.
If you want to use that tape under Unix, there might be a difference in blocksize etc.
Erase / format / initialize the tape and use it then.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Backward Comatibility

Hi,
You are using NT backup. If the DDS2 tape you are trying to read is made with another backup application, this is expected behavior.

If the DDS2 tape you are trying to read is verified to be made with NTbackup, it might be that the drive that was used to write the tape had an allignment problem although this should be rare.

Flipping the 3rd switch will not help you in this case as the physical tape is compatible with the drive.

regards,

-Cal.