1752782 Members
6125 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1533A does not compress

Mike Bentley

C1533A does not compress

Hi,

I'm using Backup Exec, as well as NT Backup (W2kpro) and I can't seem to get the compression on the tape drive working. I'm using the right tape, but the tapes to not backup past the uncompressed amount. I've searched HP's site and confirmed that these do support compression, but I can't seem to find out where to turn this on, or configure it to do so. Anyone know or been through this before?

Thanks,
Mike
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't know much about the software your
using, but these tape drives will only
compress so much. Are the files your
backing up already compressed?

The drive your talking about backs up 4Gb natively, how much are you getting and how much do you think you should get ??

Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
the dat have a native capacity of 4 gb with his catridge, if youcan put more than 4 gb, than compression is active,
the algorithm used to compress data is similar to the one used by Winzip or other software compressor, so you can compress your data with winzip and check the result, you can then calculate the ratio of compretion of the data you want to put on the tape.
if the result ar different that supposed, you can trubleshoot the dat using LTT (Library and Tape Tools) which have a test to check compression.
bye

marino