3570 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537 Dat Drive Windows XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Booth

C1537 Dat Drive Windows XP

I have recently purchased a C1537 Dat Drive together with an Adaptec AHA2940UW Scsi card. Windows XP seems to have recognised the Scsi card but I am unsure how to get XP to recognise the Dat drive. Can anybody give me any ideas. I have search the internet for the Dat drive drivers but come up a complete blank. As you are probabley aware I am a complete novice when it comes to Scsi cards and Dat drives. HELP!!!!!
14 REPLIES 14
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

C1537A is DDS3 drive. This device should work w/o any special driver installed, see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg29007&locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=42901&prodTypeId=12169 , it states "The driver included with Windows XP supports all of the DAT products". Of course it will not be seen by Windows if there's problem with drive, SCSI bus or SCSI adapter. Please install HP LTT http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html and check everything
Eugeny
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
as Eugeny wrote, you just need to connect it to the Scsi controller and XP will recognise it and load the correct drive himself.
Id the DAT do not appear in computer managment, be sure ye iis well connected (check for bent pins) and check if it appear in the scsi bios at boot time.
then run L&TT for more diagnosis
Chris Booth

The Adaptec AHA2940UW scsi card seems to be working correctly. I can see it on bootup and using the scsi utility it appears as scsi id number 7. Unfortunately the dat drive is nowhere to be seen. I am unsure whether the jumpers are set correctly having bought it as a working seceond drive. I do not have any documentation to set the jumpers and have spent a painful 4 hours looking on both the HP and COMPAQ web sites for any documentation, without any luck. As suggested, I installed HP-LLT, which finds the scsi card but says it's not supported and does not find anything else. Also, I cannot add the dat drive using Add Hardware, as again it itn't found. I seem to be getting nowhere very fast.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Are you sure you have a 2940 and not a 2944 that is HVD interface?,
if you have the correct card, press CTRL-A at boot time in order to go in the bios and chek if the DAT appear at that time, if not, check for bent pins or bad connection or defective terminator.
also be sure to have set the id of the tape at an id different that the controller that is usualy 7 as you said.
Chris Booth

Hi,

The scsi card is a AHA2940UW, checked with the label on the side of the chip. I've even upgraded the cards bios using adaptec's bios update. My dat drive jumper are set for scsi id. 6 but still is not found with the scsi utility. Do all motherboard these days support PCI scsi controller cards. I've tried it in at least 3, still no luck. I am running out of things to try. I'm sure the controller card is working as it is found by windows xp every time I switch the slot. All pins look ok and I saw the drive working before I bought it.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Chris,
do you have anything else than DAT drive on the SCSI bus? If you have another SE SCSI device, you can connect it instead of DAT drive to see if windows will see it (even if device you'll connect unsupported by OS, you'll see XP prompt 'I found device and want drivers for it' - this means XP found the device).
You also can connect DAT drive to another SE controller to see if it will find drive. Please pay attention to termination - bus should be terminated at both ends with CORRECT type terminators - WSE or SE. Replace terminator(s) with know good ones. Try operating w/o terminators at all - drive may not work correctly, but at least OS should find 'somethinf on the bus'.
In addition, please check drive's bottom switches (8 dip switces in one block) - all should be on, but 3rd should be off.
If you drive will not be seen by another good SE controller and this 2940 will see another connected device then consider your drive is dead
Eugeny
Chris_234
Occasional Advisor

Trying to locate another Scsi card and will let you know if successful.
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Did you install Tapeware 6.3? That is the only tape backup software which works on windows XP.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi Chris,
If you cannot see the Device in the SCSI Bios utility, or you have a connection problem or your drive is defective, because at this time, the connection is not OS related, and the tape SHOULD apear.
If you can enter inthe bios of the controller (With CTRL-A) then your card is supported and managed by the server or pc.
So I will insist in asking you to check for connection until the tape appear in the SCSI Bios Utility