1748084 Members
5315 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537A Drive Errors

William E. Stone

C1537A Drive Errors

Hi,
My problem is w/ a W2000 Server w/ HP C1537A SCSI tape drive that is having persistent failures to backup data.

I suspect the drive is bad and need to find a replacement. Can anyone point me to some pertinent specs that will help when shopping for a replacement? The original paperwork that came with the device is not available.

There are 2 errors we are encountering:

"Mount Failed. The server threw an exception."
or
"Device reported an error on a request to write data to media"

These 2 errors are associated with a conflict between the W2000 driver for this device and W2000 RSM. We have carried out the fix for this problem, and the problem remains the same.

All Help appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
11 REPLIES 11
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It seems as your drive is a DDS3 drive. DDS3 drives is still avialable.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/dat24/specifications.html
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> My problem is w/ a W2000 Server w/ HP C1537A SCSI tape drive that is having persistent failures to backup data.

> I suspect the drive is bad and need to find a replacement.

I wouldn't give up on the drive just yet.

Can you install HP library & tape tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools)?

If so, run the tool and generate a support ticket. View the ticket and look at the "device analysis" section. It may provide some suggestions on how to eliminate your backup failures.

For example, after extensive use the heads can contour to the media. There is a recalibration test that may be recommended which will optimize the write current for the current head profile.

If you want, post the support ticket (.ltt file), and we can review it.

If you do need to replace the drive, I'd suggest looking at a DDS4 or DDS5 drive for the increased capacity and performance.
The journey IS the reward.
William E. Stone

I did download l&tt and attempt to use it. The software found the drive and identified it as C1537A, however when I tried to run a diagnostic it reported the C1537A was an unsupported drive. I gave up on the l&tt at that point.
Byron Burnett
Advisor

Hello Bill

Check your services to make sure any 3rd party software is stopped along with the removalable storage service, if those aren't stopped L&TT probably won't be able to detect your drive
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Yes, as Byron said usually that means that either your backup services or Windows Removable Storage Manager (go to Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Services -> "Removable Storage") is enabled.

One way around the exclusive access lock is select the ASPI I/O mode on the LTT splash screen (if this was selected as an option on the install)>
William E. Stone

Okay, I disabled RSM and Backup Exec services and L&TT behaved as indicated.

The firmware was updated to from 005 to 111 (I think those are the correct numbers). It took a few minutes for the drive to become available again. I attempted to perform some of the diagnostic tests in L&TT and they all failed. A support ticket was emailed. Then I went back a few minutes later, re-started L&TT, and performed the tests again. This time they all passed.

I don't know if the error is intermittent, or the errors resulted from the device needing some time to get back online.

I'll keep you posted, and thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it.
Bill

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Well, there's usually an explanation for everything. Did the support ticket go to LTT-Log-NorthAmerica@hp.com?

If you want, zip up the EventLog*.ltt files in the logs folder of LTT, and then send them to ltt_team@hp.com. I'll look to see why the tests failed the first time.
William E. Stone

It went to ltt_team@hp.com
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

OK, those were not necessarily test failures - they were LTT tool failures, which eventually caused a Tool Status Report.

The TSR email includes the event logs. They show that the OS was reporting "An unknown win32 error occurred" on all the SCSI commands to the drive.

My guess is this was a side effect of the firwmare update and an iteraction with the windows plug-n-play manager. Windows uses the device ID AND the firmware version string as unique identifiers for a discovered device. If either of these change on an existing device, windows eventually generates an "Unsafe device removal" message, and then rediscovers the device with the new identity. In between these two steps, access to the device can be unpredictable.

So, you should be OK now. If you can post an LTT support ticket (.ltt file), I can review the device logs for anything of interest.