1752786 Members
5794 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537A Sequential Positioning Error

BR684963

C1537A Sequential Positioning Error

Hi

My drive is reporting a sequential positioning error when I try and write to a DDS3 cartridge or when using L&TT to do a read/write test.

Can somebody point me in the right direction as to what this error means and steps I can take to try and remedy it?

Thanks

Simon Young

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archival Products to Tape Libraries and Drives - HP Forums Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
CA698399
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,

This sounds like a media error. Have you tried cleaning your drive, or using a different cartridge?
BR684963

Hi

I have cleaned the drive a number of times but using Microsoft Backup in W2K it will not write to a 2GB or 12GB tape.

I have installed Tapeware and found that I can now write to a 2GB tape on this but the drive still reports a media error on new 12GB tapes.

The drive reports itself as C1537A but would appear to be OEM. Is it possible it may take a maximum of 4GB tapes?

Thanks

Simon Young
CA713937
Honored Contributor

If the drive works with DDS2 media, but you get write errors with DDS3 media, it may indicate that the write head performance has dropped.

Since you have LTT installed already, run the Device Analysis test and let us know the results. If you want, you could post the support ticket (which includes the drive logs and the device analysis results) for us to look at.

The drive might be a candidate for write current recalibration.
The journey IS the reward.
BR684963

The test results have been e-mailed to HP Support. They suggest that the drive does indeed need recalibrating. Can anybody tell me how this is achieved?

Incidentally I can write to DDS2/4GB tapes using Tapeware now but not MS Backup.

Thanks

Simon Young
CA628575
Trusted Contributor

Simon,

It is strongly suggested that you work with HP support to perform the recalibration because of some possible side effects.

You actually have to perform the operation with LTT yourself, but we prefer that you do it while being on the phone with an agent.

I have seen your e-mail submission to the call center. It is still in the queue and should be picked up shortly by an agent who should contact you (assuming your drive is either still under warranty or support contract).

If you need to expedite the processing you can contact HP support yourself by following the instructions at this URL: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ContactHP.jsp