5311 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537A firmware downgrade procedure

fabry cas
Occasional Contributor

C1537A firmware downgrade procedure

Hi at all,

I just upgraded my NEW DAT drive's firmware from L105 to L111. Now the backup software aborts every time reporting an I/O Error (Write Error). I tested the drive a C1537A using the HP Library & Tape Tools. The test utility recognizes the drive, connection and drive self test work fine. When performing a read/write test, the write error occurs and the amber LED is blinking. The tape I used is new.

I've tried with different version of win2k drivers. I've read a MS KB article that suggest to downgrade the firmware. I need a password for downgrading it?

Thks,
Fabry
8 REPLIES 8
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

I've not seen this kind of thing, could you please post a link to the MS article?

As for the FW password... I'd advise first to:

1. make sure that the drive is alone in the SCSI bus

2. Make sure that the SCSI bus has a proper terminator

3. Set the SCSI bus to:

5MB/s
No wide, sync or ultra negotiation
no Domain Validation

4. Do not use Microsoft driver for the SCSI controller, use the manufacturer driver instead.

5. If you have a backup software, do not load the windows driver for the drive. Usually BU SW uses its own drivers

6. If you have W2K, stop and disable Removable Storage Service

7. Make sure that you have latest patches for the backup SW.

If you get problems after this, call the customer care center or check out Instant Support.

HTH
Arimo
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Fully agree with Arimo.
But one little addon... Did you try to clean the drive with new cleaning tape? How often do you clean drive? You should do it after every 5 full backups or 20 tape pulling hours.
Try cleaning drive now. If it will not help - try cleaning 5 consecutive times
Eugeny
fabry cas
Occasional Contributor

Hi Arimo

MS article is Q269600.

I'm using an HP controller NetRaid-1Si

1. Dat is alone in SCSI bus

2. SCSI bus is terminated

3. Now I've seted SCSI bus to Fast ... where I can find "ultra negotiation" and "domain validation" parameters?

4. I've replaced Ms drivers with latest HP drivers

5. I have not third part backup sw. I'm using MS NTBACKUP.

6 If I disable "Removable Storage svc", NTBACKUP don't function

7. no sw, no patch

I'am still having the problem ...

Please help me for a solution.

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

fabry cas
Occasional Contributor

Sorry Eugeny,
it's the only controller I have ...
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Eugeny hit the nail - again.

RAID controller means no go. The drive will never work properly there and eventually R/W heads will be destroyed. Not supported by HP either.

About SCSI; when you do get a proper SCSI controller, do not set it to FAST. The drive is Narrow SCSI. The bus settings are for SCSI controller, Domain Validation is Adaptec 29160 specific, RAID HW doesn't even have them.

As for drivers, never ever use MS drivers with a NetServer - unless the server support page says differently.

If you're not using on-board RAID controller, that one can be configured to SCSI also. Not the best solution, but definitely better than RAID.

Arimo
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

BTW, thanks for the link. I didn't find there any mention to the drive firmware, but otherwise it's useful.

Arimo
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Arimo,
there was real document on the hp site called like 'RAID controllers and tapes - NO GO' (joking) but I was not able to find it this time. Maybe if you'll try you'll find it
Eugeny