C1537A - "Your drive may require re-calibration"

Savva

C1537A - "Your drive may require re-calibration"

Setup:
DRIVE - C1537A
Firmware - L111
BACKUP SOFTWARE - ARCSERVE 2000 SP5
OS - NT SERVER 4.0 SP6

Using dds-3 tapes in Arcserve, when the backup reaches 14 GB it then asks for a new tape. I have also tried NT backup which has the same results. In both cases I have selected to use hardware compression.

I have run the various tests in L&TT, all of the tests passed with no warnings except the "Device Analysis" test which yields the result "Your drive may require re-calibration...."

Can anybody help?
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: C1537A - "Your drive may require re-calibration"

Hi,

the only guruantee is, that you get 12gb on a dds-3 tape. Anything more depends on, what you backup, how much it can be compressed. Since you have already 14gb on it. What are you backing up? Do you get any I/O errors?

Michael
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Your effective capacity can go down if you are having write error rate problems (and the drive needs to spare out [aka rewrite]) blocks.

The message from device analysis indicates that you are having some error rate issues. If you have been cleaning the drive regularly, you probably want to look at the recalibration script. This will attempt to optimize the write currents for the current head profile.

Here's more info:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg50236
The journey IS the reward.
Brice_5
Occasional Advisor

Capacity lost might also casued by bad block on the tape media. Do you have same result on different tapes?