StoreEver Tape Storage
1752713 Members
5696 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1537a doesnt finish loading a tape

Frank Schneider_1

C1537a doesnt finish loading a tape

We have the C1537a upgraded to the latest firmware and performing a daily backup using "Backup Exec", latest tape drivers. It performed well for a year now. But now every few weeks the tape stays in the "loading tape" state until next morning. The diagnostic tool doesnt show any errors performing the various self-tests.

When i abort the loading process in backup exec, the drive is again accessable and can be ejected. The drive performs well for a certain time.

Other than that we had the "total lockup" issue. The drive seems to be dead. No lights, no reaction pushing the eject button. I can only reset the drive using the diagnostic tool and updating the firmware or powercycle the server.

I read many statements with this drive all over the web that mention those problems.

It seems obvious that this is a firmware issue. Has this been adressed yet or is there any fix out there?
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please use LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html to generate support ticket for the drive and attach to your next reply zipped.
Please also recall what may have been changed since drive started behaving this way (you'e installed application, you've replaced SCSI cable/terminator etc).
Frank Schneider_1

Here is your ticket.

Frank Schneider_1

Nothing has changed since installation of the server. Not even a servicepack was added.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

It is your ticket :)
Open and look into it:

"Tape pulling time: 304 hrs"
"Number of cleaning events logged: 0"
"You appear not to be cleaning this drive often enough"
"Please insert a cleaning cartridge 5 times in a row to ensure that the drive heads are clean. If you are still having problems please contact support"

DDS drive should be cleaned after every 5 full backups or 20 tape pulling hours, so to the moment drive should already be cleaned 304/20~15 times.
Remember then not cleaning DDS drive regularly your drive's heads are getting excessively dirty and even cleaning tape inserted then will not clean them.
I do not say that this is a cause of your current problem, but it can be. What to do - do what LTT support ticket says and see how drive will feel then. If it will not help.... contact support, maybe drive's heads are so dirty
Eugeny

PS. Please do not mix DDS cleaning policy with another (DLT, LTO) drives' one. LTO and DLT drives should be cleaned by their request ONLY