108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1553A seems to back up only directories

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phil Lacefield Jr.
Occasional Advisor

C1553A seems to back up only directories

I saw something close to this mentioned earlier on the boards, but it doesn't seem to apply. I have a C1553A running on an Adaptec 19160, tests out just fine and runs well, or so it seems. Server is a P4 Celeron 2.0GHz, running XP SP1 with all updates installed, 256MB RAM, etc.etc., very stable. I am using the XP Backup utility, which is pretty handy, and the library seems to happily do a backup - of ONLY the directories, and none of the files inside them! The files are checked in Backup, and I see that they get scanned when the bacup is running, but at the end of the run (which takes about three minutes, impossibly short for 10GB of data) the report states that it has backed up X number of directories and no files. What gives here? IS this the software, or something I've set up wrong? I've checked every possible configuration setting, nothing there says "back up file folders only and no documents inside them." I tried a backup of one folder full of data, then erased it and tried a restore. Only the file folders themselves came back, none of the data came with them.

HELP!
9 REPLIES 9
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

This won't be a hardware issue. It doesn't matter for the tape device if files or directories are written and probably can't even distinguish between them. This is the task of the software and thus the XP backup utility in your case.

Does the user you are logged on with has the rights to backup the directories? Make it a member of the backup group or use a (local/domain) administrator to exclude this possibility.

Kurt
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Try the following:
-use 3rd party software, with open file engine.
-if possible try to use another drive with linear writting tech.
-if you still want to use NTbackup try to enable "verify data after backup" and use"Normal or Full" for backup writting mode.
"You should be working"
Phil Lacefield Jr.
Occasional Advisor

It's a stand-alone machine with only the admin login, no other permissions needed. It logs in fine, and the password is loaded in the Backup software, so that isn't it.
Phil Lacefield Jr.
Occasional Advisor

>>-use 3rd party software, with open file engine.

ANy sauggestions? I use Stomp Inc.'s Backup MY PC on my main workstation (which has a single C1533 backing up nightly) but apparently that software doesn't support autoloading libraries. ANy suggestions would be very much appreciated!

>>-if possible try to use another drive with linear writting tech.

THis is the only drive I have, and I don't know what linear writing tech means, sorry :-)

>>-if you still want to use NTbackup try to enable "verify data after backup" and use"Normal or Full" for backup writting mode.

Verify Data has been selected and not selected, makes no difference. I'll try running Full or Normal and see what happens, thanks.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Phil,
what type of backup you were doing? Normal, incremental, differential, daily?
Eugeny
Phil Lacefield Jr.
Occasional Advisor

>>what type of backup you were doing? Normal, incremental, differential, daily?

I had set it for daily, scheduled to run every morning at 2AM. It appears to have indeed run at 2AM, but again only backed up the folders themselves and not the contents therein. Sigh.

Thansk for the help so far, guys, it's no better but it IS very encouraging that so many people use these forums. Thanks!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

From NTbackup help:
"A daily backup copies all selected files that have been modified the day the daily backup is performed. The backed-up files are not marked as having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared)"
I suspect that if files are not modified then they simply were not backed up, but directory tree was backed up.
Are you sure that there are no backed files at all, just only directories?
I think if you want to get files use 'copy' or 'normal' method
Eugeny
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

check in the report log what it happens (tools>report), enhance eventualy the level of lgging.
other suggestion, check in tools>Option the exclusion tab, de sure to not exclude all files (*.*)

marino
Phil Lacefield Jr.
Occasional Advisor

>>"A daily backup copies all selected files that have been modified the day the daily backup is performed. The backed-up files are not marked as having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared)"
I suspect that if files are not modified then they simply were not backed up, but directory tree was backed up.
Are you sure that there are no backed files at all, just only directories?
I think if you want to get files use 'copy' or 'normal' method

Success! THis is exactly what had happened - I mistook "Daily" for "schedule this backup to run every day",w hich are two different things in two different areas. Changed the backup type to "Normal", reset the schedule and now it's backing up everything! Thanks SO much for the help!