1748279 Members
4116 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C1553a (8X6 Autoloader) 9608 Firmware 'Wrong Personality'

Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

C1553a (8X6 Autoloader) 9608 Firmware 'Wrong Personality'

I have an old C1553a which I would like to update the firmware of. The drive has firmware 9406, I would like to update to 9608.

The drive reads (and restores) tapes fine, but gives a CRC error ''clean me' when attempting to write *anything*. The tape drive used to backup a Sun box fine, the problems started after we moved the unit to Win2K using Backup Exec 8.5. Very strange.

I have looked at the SCSI controller (ensured that it is talking narrow), updated the autoloader drivers - so I'm thinking either there is a config issue with the drive, or I just need to update this firmware.

I downloaded the file 'LTT_C1553A_9608.frm' however, LTT will not alow me to use this, as it says the file has the wrong 'Personality'

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

Jeff

9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: C1553a (8X6 Autoloader) 9608 Firmware 'Wrong Personality'

Hi Jeff,
please generate support ticket for autoloader, zip it and attach to your next reply.
Also please post which SCSI controller is used (and if bios at the latest) and if termination is correct
Eugeny
Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

Wow! I wasn't expecting a reply so soon!

I'd actually not really understood this 'ticket' system - I assumed it was just something to do with contacting HP support if you had a contract... lots of useful stuff here. Guess I should have read the manual there.

I just noticed a few things (drive compression is off - is this correct?) - also something very strange - there is something about 'config code 0 by He' DDS1 first generation.

Could it be that this drive is set up as a DDS1 - which is why it's not writing to DDS2 tapes?!!!?

Hmm... also lots of errors in the Mech error counters.... uh oh.

Hope you can help..

Jeff
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Yes it's really strange that LTT reports it's as DDS1 drive. The only item I can not find docs for is autoloader switches (drive switches are ok) - 1,2,3 on but 4th is off - how should it be?
Could it be drive especially set up in DDS1 mode at factory for Sun box?
Eugeny
Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

Yep I certainly think there is something funny going on here.

There is a 'config' code when you boot the drive up - my server is online right now, so I can't get my code.

Do you know what this code should be for the correct setup?

Is there a way to 'reboot' the drive when the server is on?

Thanks,

Jeff

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

You can power cycle drive by plugging its power connector out (it's easy if drive is external).
What you can try to do is to get into the box and check how these switches are connected to the autoloader. Try disconnecting everything from the drive and connecting to the drive directly
Eugeny
Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

OK, I found an online manual for the device :

http://www.osemidlands.co.uk/support/insight/insight/manuals/pdf/15969431.pdf

Which seemed to indicte that the options switch back on the autoloader (1-4) by default should all be ON.

This changed the config mode at boot up from FB7 to FBF.

However, this did not fix the problem. And the device is still reporting as DDS 1 in LTT.

I'm noticing some strange issues with backup exec. namely that after a cleaning job, exec still reports 'loading media' even after 5 minutes after the job has finished.

My last role of the dice before I think about breaking into the box is to change the SCSI controller. I am currently using a 2940UW - motherboard based controller. I'm going to try something a bit more basic as I suspect there could be some issues with signalling here...

Will update on progress...

Cheers,

Jeff
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeff, Have you checked the switches right underneath the base of the autoloader. Normally the switch 3 would be the only one that is changed, but for this to work ok on a Sun box then all 8 switches would be on, so you could try changing switch 3 which is to do with the compression and try again. The switches on the rear are correct with just switch 4 off.
the meaning of this setting is 'Auto-stack','Auto-eject','Lun 0 drive inquiry' all disabled and 'Allow resequencing' and 'Lun 1 magazine ready' enabled
hope this helps
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Jeff_202
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys,

Still having this problem with 'wrong personality' firmware for my 1553a autoloader.

As the device was sitting on my desk today, I just noticed that it actually has a 'made for IBM sticker on the underside on the autoloader. So what's the deal with this? It looks exactly the same as an HP 1553a, and even has this model number on it, and is recognised as this in LTT... but it's an IBM.

Is there anyway I can completely wipe the firmware on this drive, and upload a new HP one... without toasting the drive?

Kind regards,

Jeff
Peter Forster_1

I have a very similar problem, my autoloader is an original HP product. LTT tools detects the drive but says it has firmware NS01 and 9608 is available for it. However, the downloaded 9608 cannot be used because it complains about a "wrong prefix" -- how can I get the firmware upgraded on this device?