5582 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

C5683A under RedHat 6.2

Jackson Chen
Advisor

C5683A under RedHat 6.2

Dear,

I have a Compaq Deskpro, running RedHat 6.2 to host my Oracle8i DB. After buying a HP SureStore DDS 40e(C5683A), I attached it to my Deskpro with a DPT-PM3334UW ( SCSI-DISK-ARRAY PCI card). Then everything was running well, I use TAR, DD to backup my archive log and Oracle export file.

I also install the TapeWare(delivered with the tape unit) software in my RedHat and use it to make a full backup (cold backup, DB shutdown). It was fine for some days.

But I got a big problem that the device was not found in my RedHat without any reason.The error was :

[root]# tar -tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot open: No such device
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
(even I restarted system, it's the same, no error message appeared while using demsg command)

At the same time, I could find the SCSI card in my system info. I had try to change other SCSI cards like, Adaptec 29160N. The situation was no difference.

I also moved the SCSI card+tape unit to another Windows XP and another RedHat 6.2 that running MRTG. It works perfectly in both systems.

Could someone give me some tips to check the problem ?

Thanks in advance !

Jackson
Italian
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: C5683A under RedHat 6.2

Hi
you said have fist to check in the SCSI adapter bios if the tape device is discovered and managed, after that I guess you will have to reinstall the unit at a OS level
Jackson Chen
Advisor

Dear Marino,

Many thanks for your reply. The SCSI card works and it could detect the tape unit (SCSI ID=4). I tried with 3 different SCSI cards, all of them could detect the tape unit.

Because I just want to perform some backup commands like TAR and DD, but it seems that the tape unit was not found in my RedHat, how should I do the OS level installation ? Would you please give me some suggestion ?

Besides, I tried to use HP TapeTools utility to check the problem. But I was stopped at the installation, the error was :

error: failed dependencies:
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 is needed by ltt-3.3.0.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 is needed by ltt-3.3.0.0-1
libncurses.so.5 is needed by ltt-3.3.0.0-1

Does someone know if I could use ltt 3.3 under RedHat 6.2 or no ? If yes, where I could find the dependencies ? Because I tried with RedHat 6.2 CDROM and RedHat website and could not find them.

****************N*O*T*E******************** The tape unit and SCSI card work normally in another windows XP and another RedHat 6.2 system

b.rgds

Jackson

Italian
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Jackson Chen
Advisor

Dear Marino,

Many thanks for your reply.

I was not so good in Linux environment.

After checking the guideline provided by HP, I still could not get any ideas. The tape unit works perfectly in my RedHat few weeks ago and suddenly it disappeared.

I also check the dmesg in my two RedHat 6.2, that one could not find my tape unit but another could. The output was very similar, I could not find "st0" in both of them, one could find the tape unit but another could not.

Is there any tools like HP TapeTools could help me to check my problem ?

Many thanks for all of you !

best regards

Jackson
Italian
Jackson Chen
Advisor

Dear,

I had found that:

1. the content of /proc/scsi/scsi was

"Attached devices: none"

2. one thing strange is /var/log/message:

"kernel: scsi0 : SCSI host adapter
emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
kernel: scsi : 1 host."

3. the output of lsmod was :

Module Size Used by
ide-scsi 7080 0
lockd 30344 1 (autoclean)
sunrpc 52132 1 (autoclean) [lockd]
3c59x 18980 1 (autoclean)

Why my SCSI tape unit was regonized as IDE ATAPI ? or Am I wrong ?

Hope to get some tips from you !!

Jackson

Italian