StoreEver Tape Storage
1748183 Members
3507 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C7145 / Quantum DLT 8000 w/NT40

Matt Walker_2

C7145 / Quantum DLT 8000 w/NT40

I have serveral servers that are built identically. I am using Arcserve2000 on a NT 4.0 machine. The DLT is connected an Adaptec 29160 or adpu160m card. I am getting super slow performance on one of the machines and they are setup identically...any suggestions on what to look for?
2 REPLIES 2
Breider
Occasional Advisor

Matt,
When you say identically, do you mean hardware/software or both? Obviously something is different between the two. Is the OS system disk on the same controller in both systems? Is the data set being backed up identical? If they are truly mirror images of each other in hardware and data, I would take a close look at your Adaptec drivers for the HBA running the tape drive, as well as for the HBA running the system disk (or data disk) being backed up. Many times a driver will work, but not optimally on different versions of hardware. For instance, if the Adaptec 29160 is Adaptec branded, make sure you are using the latest drivers FROM Adaptec, but if it's an HP C7474 (which IS an Adaptec 29160) I would make sure you are using the latest HP driver for that HBA. Performance problems are very tricky, and can come from a large number of sources, if you're getting the performance from one machine, there's no reason why the other shouldn't be just as fast... Dig deep, something is different somewhere.

-Barry
Matt Walker_2

Thanks Barry,

Everything is identical except the data that is on the external storage. On both servers the OS and the external storage are on the 4-M card. The external storage on both are the rack storage 12, partitioned the exact same way and contain literally the same amount of data (give or take a few MB)in the forms of size, file count, folder count, and folder structure. The hardware is setup identically also, ie the placement of the cards in the PCI slots, type of hardware, firmware versions, etc. The operating system and the software loaded are as identical as can be also.

You mentioned to try and use the HP drivers for the 29160 which I haven't had the chance to try but I will!

HP told me that sometimes a drive is bad but still good enough to actually do the backups and restores so I am going to swap it out with another one. thanks for your help.