1752793 Members
6302 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C9264CB Pick-up Leader

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

C9264CB Pick-up Leader

One of my DLT robotic units started making a god-awful noise this morning. When I attempted to load a cartridge it started normally but then the noise and the tape was returned to the carousel. I used the front console to open the door with the Import Tape function and looked at the tape drive with a flashlight. I could see the tape leader wasn't on it's hook. I disassembled the unit hoping it had just slipped off and I could reposition it. Unfortunately it is torn and needs to be replaced. I've searched Google and eBay looking for a DLT VS 640 Slim leader replacement but only found DLT 4000 or DLT1 / VS80 leaders. I went to the HP Parts Store, entered the C9264CB part number and it displayed only a few parts (cleaning cartridges, tape cartridges, mounting brackets etc) but no leaders. The unit works great for my purposes and I have 120 tapes in the library so please don't suggest I update to newer drives / robots (including the broken one, I have 5 of these robots).
Can someone please tell me where I can pick up a new leader for the DLT VS 640 Slim drive?
5 REPLIES 5
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

I had a spare tape drive on the shelf. I compared the leaders and the spare was the same size. I removed the broken and installed the spare. While the cover was off the robotic unit I loaded and unloaded tapes, used a cleaning cartridge all while observing whether the replacement leader was working. Satisfied all was well I closed it up and put it back in service. I started the backup that failed last night, it ran for 10 minutes, I could see the LCD indicating writing and could hear the tape moving. After approximately 10 minutes the unit reset itself, the tape rewound and apparently ripped the leader apart as when I tried to back up again the god-awful sound was back. I looked inside again with a flashlight and the leader is off the hook.

Anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden it's ripping the crap out of leaders?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Bad tape.

Dropped tapeleader.

DLT:
1. The tape leader is worn out.
2. Problemes with a tape. broken, ripped "eye"
3. Tape is Blocked.

Once a tape has been involved in a dropped tapelaeder problem. Never use it again.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi
I never saw the VS640 system, but on previous version, there was some small holes in the tape path inside the drive, that should recognize the approaching of the EOT (end or tape) and BOT (Beginning of tape)

If there is some dust in front of the sensor, it will not slow down when rewinding and rip out the leader

This can be the reason of your problem
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

I used an HP cleaning tape, wouldn't this have cleaned any dust off the sensor? Also, it did not have a problem loading / unloading tapes while I had the cover off and cleaning.
I purchased 10 leaders via eBay (and seller threw in two extras) I'll replace again and see whether it destroys a new leader when I put it back in service.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

well long time I didn't open one of the DLT drives, but the problem could not be solved with a cleaning tape.
There should be (it was on the DLT, not sure on the SDLT) an optical sensor, so that the light flow through the hole in the tape, and this alert the motor to speed down approaching eot or bot.
so you should look for dust inside the tape path and remove it if you found. (as I said, not sure the SDLT work in the same way)