108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CAN NOT FIND TAPE

SOLVED
Go to solution
шЛПцЩФ
Occasional Visitor

CAN NOT FIND TAPE

I have a problem for HP DAT40*4e(c5717) in windows2000 server chinese edition.My backup software is CA ARCSERVE2000 V7 build 1100,and already installed CA SP4.ARCSERVE can not recognized all tape.
The driver I use is hpdat.sys, it's the same as 4mmdat.sys described on this article (and is included on SP2)
This only happened with CA backup, with other software as VERITAS Backup Exec 8.0 apparently it works well.

Any help would be useful, I suppose somebody has already experimented this problem.

It's urgent,,,,please!!!
I AM VERY SORRY MY ENGLISH IS LIMITED.
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Suye,
more information needed:
1. do you have more than one backup application installed on the same host?
2. what do you mean telling can not recognize tape - tape drive itself or robot (autochanger) device?
3. are you sure autoloader is operational (good)?
Please describe your problem more precisely. Any error messages? Anything unusual on the screen? Which driver is loaded for autochanger? Did you stop Removable Storage Manager in services menu?
Eugeny
шЛПцЩФ
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for reply so quickly .
By the way ,can you read chinese?
1.I olny installed ARCSERVE in my NetServer LC2000.The tape device is connected into channel B.
2.In ARCSERVE MANAGER windows,I USE DEVICE MANAGER can see my C5717(display as C5713),and in right winodws can see six solt.when I star device mananger ,the tape device scan tape medium but after a few minute ,the device stop scan and all solt display 'updating'.At this time,I can do anything to tape.
3.I am sure autoloader is good because I have tried to install VERITAS Backup Exec 8,and both software and hardware is work good.
4. In you message ,you mentioned to stop Removable Storage Manager.why do this?it can affect BACKUP DEVICE?But why did not affect VERITAS backup .
thank you again.
шЛПцЩФ
Occasional Visitor

i am sorry to write wrong.
In point 2,it is 'I CAN NOT DO ANY THING'
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

So there are problems with autochanger/robot, not with a drive!
Go to services and stop RSM. Arcserve software should manage autochanger by itself.
Go to device manager and check which driver is loaded for autochanger (not a drive). Driver should be from CA.
Another your action can be to try another Adaptec generic HBA http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html
Eugeny