108789 Solutions
New Discussion

CPQ Internal DLT 20/40 - Phase Errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sergio Ricci_1
Advisor

CPQ Internal DLT 20/40 - Phase Errors

I have the above server with an internal CPQ DLT 20/40 tape drive. The tape drive is showing as having 'Phase Errors' and indeed the Windows 2000 server System event logs show errors with 'cpq32fs2' and 'storage agents'.

The HP systems management application shows that there are problems on SCSI Controller on Port 1 on system board as having a problem and drilling down shows that the issue is with the DLT drive. As mentioned before it has 'Phase Errors' and it would appear that the 'Physical Width' and 'current width' of the drive is 'Narrow (8 bits)' while the SCSI controller (Cpq 64 bit Dual Channel Wide Ultra2 SCSI controller) 'bus width' is 'wide (16bits)'.

I suspect that this is where the problem is? If so can anyone point me in the right direction to get documenation on how to change the config of the tape drive to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or pointers.
Sergio
1 REPLY 1
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: CPQ Internal DLT 20/40 - Phase Errors

"Phase error" is usualy a scsi situation that indicate a hardware error at the transport level (scsi cable), you mentioned also that the communiction is reverted to Narrow mode instead of wide mode, this indicate that you have problem on the higher 8 bits of the SCSI Bus, so the communication is taking place just on the 8 lower bits..

Suggestion to solve: replace cable and /or terminator, check for bent/broken pins

marino