3646 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CV-TL shows "identical serial #" when addressing MSLs

Gavin Strudley_1
Occasional Advisor

CV-TL shows "identical serial #" when addressing MSLs

"Library with an identical serial # is already managed"
This Java error message happens when trying to manage more than one MSL using CV_TL v1.60.
Multiple MSL5052SL2 and MSL6060 LTO2 libraries using firmware v5.07 were connected to but the same error appears.
Anybody got a fix for this?
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

CV-TL is not made for MSL libraries, you should use L&TT to diagnose them.
MSL do not have management capability from CV

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/tlarchitecture/index.html

David Ruska
Honored Contributor

CV-TL is for the enterprise tape libaries. Initially it was called CV-ESL to manage the ESL9000 and ESL-e libraries, but recently renamed CV-TL when support for the EML series of libraries were added.

The MSL has a native remote management interface that can be used for managing the library.

FYI, if you are on version 5.07 firmware, I suggest updating to 5.13 to resolve a number of issues (see release notes).
The journey IS the reward.
Gavin Strudley_1
Occasional Advisor

Taken from the Help page supplied in CV-TL 1.6.00

Command View TL Help -> Library Selection tab -> Adding and removing libraries

"Command View TL supports... the HP Storageworks MSL libraries. MSL and VLS libraries can be added in the same way as a regular library... If you try to manage an MSL or VLS lirary from Command View TL, a separate utility is opened in a separate browser window."

I want to manage more than one MSL library on my infrastructure by using the tool that HP supplied. This is currently not possible regardless of the number of Management Stations.

Does anybody have a fix for this?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Gavin,

You are right in that CV-TL does support the MSL libraries, but since the MSL does not have the embedded manageability card of the ESL/EML (i.e. the "interface manager"), the support is really limited to launching of the embedded web GUI for the MSL (and VLS).

While CV-TL does not auto-discover the MSLs, you can add them manually by IP address.

That said, I assume that launching of the web GUI is what you are looking for.

We did a quick review of the MSL implementation and in version 1.60 it does not look like were able to implement a method to get the actual serial number from the library. As a result, trying to add two MSL libraries will result the "identical serial #" issue you mentioned.

If that is an issue for you, please call HP support and open a support case so this can be officially tracked.
The journey IS the reward.
Gavin Strudley_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks David. I've raised a call with the HP Managed Service team onsite. I'll update when I receive news.