StoreEver Tape Storage
1752565 Members
5277 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cable for connecting a 7980S drive to an A5149A card?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michelle Weiss
Advisor

Cable for connecting a 7980S drive to an A5149A card?

Someone out there must still have 9-track tape drives besides us?!

I need a cable to connect a 9-track drive (Centronics50Male) to an A5149A card on an n-class server (VHDCI .8mm 68pinM).

We have always ordered these particular cables from a company called computer cablemakers, however something has changed with the way they are making them now (compared to a year ago) and their new cables are not working. (as soon as you connect them up they make the entire path of that card disappear) I've 2 other cable companies, but the same thing happens. HP suggests that it's because the cables aren't built to be single ended.

Anyone out there have a place they go to order these specific cables for their 9-tracks?
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You might try Black Box:

http://www.blackbox.com

The appear to have the Centronics-68pin cables. I don't know if they are specifically single-ended or not.

You might give 'em a try. The appear to be expensive, though (about $80 per cable).
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Michelle,

No, got rid of the last of the 9 track stuff back when we were still on a K-class. But I was wondering: it sounds like you've done this before and probably have some of the old cables around. Have you tried using one of those old cables to prove that they would work if they were still made the same way?

Pete

Pete
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Michelle,

I went through this about a year ago. Waht you're trying to do requires an HP product that is a converter box and cables to attach a 7980S drive. Unfortunately, I don't have the details here with me. I may be able to find the detail at home on CD. In other configuration apparently is incorrect and will not work. If memory serves right, the card they have you use is A4800A FWD SCSI. I'll try to come up with the product number and post it here tomorrow.

HTH,

Dave
Michelle Weiss
Advisor

Hey, thanks for the responses.

Tried Black Box, no luck.

Yes, I've tried the older ones that we have and they do work. The thing is that I don't have any spares, otherwise I'd ship it off and ask them to make me some new ones...

Any other info would be helpful - thanks again!
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
Tony Bacon
Frequent Advisor

Hello Michelle,

Please provide me as mch detail as to the cables that can do work and I will see if I can get one made for you. Have a great day and talk to you soon.

Tony Bacon
800-927-7474 ext.6511
tbacon@nasi.com
Loren Blakeney
Occasional Advisor

You must use two cables because there is no VHDTS68 to LDBL50 cable.

The following solutions will work

C2900A SCSI Cable 3m LDBL50/LDBL50 M/F $100
C2915A SCSI Cable 1m HDTS68/LDBL50 M/M Adptr $100 or
C2907A SCSI Cable 5m HDTS68/LDBL50 M/M Adptr $130
C7523A SCSI Cable 0.5m VHDTS68/HDTS68 M/F $125

Add'l Extender cables - C2900A 3m LDBL50/LDBL50 M/F $100
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

I have yet to come up with the number(s). I will post it as soon as I get it. Probably early next week.

Assign as "0"

Dave
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

I finally found the information. Here's the list I was provided by HP to connect an L-Class to a HP7980S tape drive.

(1)C4316A HP SCSI Bus Converter $700.00 (roughly)
(1) C2905A SCSI Terminator HVD HDTS68
(1) C2915A SCSI Cable 1m HDTS68/LDBL50 M/M Adapter
(1) C2924C SCSI cable 2.5m HDTS68 M/M Multimode

The primary piece is the C4316A. It's a small box to convert the SCSI signal. This was developed to work with the A4800A FWD SCSI interface for the 'V' Class SPU. My understanding is that it will work with LVD SCSI as well. Check with HP on this. You can find some additional information here:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/automatedbackup/pdfs/autoloaders/brochures/smartpb5.pdf

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/dds_dat_drives/dds3_dat24/supplies.html

David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

I finally found the information. Here's the list I was provided by HP to connect an L-Class to a HP7980S tape drive.

(1)C4316A HP SCSI Bus Converter $700.00 (roughly)
(1) C2905A SCSI Terminator HVD HDTS68
(1) C2915A SCSI Cable 1m HDTS68/LDBL50 M/M Adapter
(1) C2924C SCSI cable 2.5m HDTS68 M/M Multimode

The primary piece is the C4316A. It's a small box to convert the SCSI signal. This was developed to work with the A4800A FWD SCSI interface for the 'V' Class SPU. My understanding is that it will work with LVD SCSI as well. Check with HP on this. You can find some additional information here:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/automatedbackup/pdfs/autoloaders/brochures/smartpb5.pdf

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/tapebackup/dds_dat_drives/dds3_dat24/supplies.html

HTH,

Dave