StoreEver Tape Storage
1748054 Members
5000 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I Connect HP StorageWorks TapeBlade to another Server?

habibalby
Frequent Advisor

Can I Connect HP StorageWorks TapeBlade to another Server?

Hello,
I have a Blade Enclosure C7000 with 2 BL460c and HP StorageWorks TapeBlade.

I wanted to connect this drive to another server not within the Blade Servers, it's ML370 G3 Server. Is it possible?
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I Connect HP StorageWorks TapeBlade to another Server?

You can not. The tape blade interfaces with the blade chassis interconnect bus only with other server blades. There is no way to have an installed tape blade be physically connected to a server outside the chassis.
habibalby
Frequent Advisor

Oh, alright thank you for your reply. But is it possible to Install the Data Protector 6 Agent on the ESX Server and Fire the the job from a Cell Manager?

Thank you.
TTr
Honored Contributor

What is the relation of the ESX server to the tape blade?

Is it the standalone ML370G3 server? If yes and you are trying to backit up, yes you can back it up as a DP client over the network.
habibalby
Frequent Advisor

Thank you. Yes, i wanna use this tape blade to Backup and Data LUN contains VMs running under BL460 in cluster mode. This lun is presented to the ML370 Server.

I'm planning to do:

1. Install the Data Protector on the ML370 Server.
2. Install DP Agent on the ESX.

3. Add the Tape Drive into the Data Protector Server.
4. Fire a Backup Job.

Is that possible?
Is it a recommend way of doing an VMs Backup?

Thanks
TTr
Honored Contributor

You can not do step 3. You can not add a tape blade on the external ML370 server.

You can install the DP software on the ML370 and connect the tape blade to the BL460 blades. This used to be a valid setup in omniback, I think it still is in DP. You control the backup sessions in the ML370 but the tape (media server) is on the BL460.

There are many ways to backup VMs. You can do it at the LUN level (but not the way you mentioned, you have to use a snapshot image), you can do it at the ESX level (VM image files) or you can do it within each VM as if it were a separate server. Each method has its pros and cons. You should pick the one that fits you best.