4081 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can I attach two HP server with MLS6060 library

Jeongbae Min
Advisor

Can I attach two HP server with MLS6060 library

Hello,

I'd like to install new MLS6060 library with 4 drives and connect to 2 servers( rp7420 and L2000) directly. L2000 has DP 5.1 on it.

DP 5.1 is supporting MLS6060? Any other part do I need to connect MLS6060 to two servers?

Could you give any other advice before I order those equipment?

Thank you in advance

Jeongbae
14 REPLIES 14
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Can I attach two HP server with MLS6060 library

for a direct attach (scsi cable connection) you can connect the robotic controller plus two drives to one server (Cell server in DP) and connect the other two drives to the second server, loading an agent for DP.
Jeongbae Min
Advisor

Hi Marino,

Thank you for your info.

I'd like to connect MLS with Fiber connection. Do I need any extra part for fiber connection? I think Fiber connection is better than SCSI connection. What do you think?

Thank you again.

Jeongbae
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeongbae,

If the library is SAN connected with a NSR e1200-160 (see http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316024тМй=en&cc=us), both the robot arm and all of the drives can be used by any server that is SAN connected too.

You need following parts: the NSR router, a 2Gb LC-LC cable and a GBIC for the SAN switch

best regards,
Kurt
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ah, ok,

Yes you can use the MSL6060 connecte in FC with two servers, I hope you already have a SAN, because for that you need at least one switch, and you need also to ad a NSR(router) to the MSL and a FC HBA in each server.
When istalled these components, you can share your MSL library with all the server you need.
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeongbae

1. If you have two servers on SAN, you need following:
NSR router for Tape library, one GBIC for SAN switch and one Fiber Cable LC-LC 2mts

2. If SAN is not in place:

NSR router for Tape library, two FC HBAs for servers, one SAN switch ( say 8 ports), 3 GBICs and 3 Fiber Cables LC-LC
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

You can use FC from the servers to a FC/SCSI bridge that will then connect to the drives using SCSI.
http://forums2.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=94318

If you cable it this way both servers will have access to all 4 of the drives and the robot.
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

The library will have 5 scsi connections, 1 for each drive and 1 for the robot.

If you want to do fiber connect make sure you order the fiber options. This will give you the fiber to scsi router mentioned above. You will need two fiber connections and two fiber routers. One router will connect to 2 drives, the other to the other 2 drives and the robot.

I typically configure the library so that the cell server has sole control of the robot but the drives can be accessed by any server. You need to configure DP to use lock names to ensure that two servers do not try to access the same drive at the same time.

If you don't want to use fiber, you could scsi attach some drives to one server and the robot and the other drives to the other server. DP will be able to handle this configuration. The system controlling the robot will mount the tapes for both systems.
Jeongbae Min
Advisor

Thank you all.

One thing is not clear to me is that we do not have SAN environment yet. Do I need to have a switch to connect from a NSR e1200-160 to two HP servers? I saw a picture of NSE e1200-160 but it has only one fiber channel port.
Any other suggestion for new configuration?

Thanks

Jeongbae
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Jeongbae,

If you do not have a SAN environment yet, the investment will be a bit high: a SAN switch, GBIC's, fibre cables and FC HBA for the servers.

All of this is required if you want to use the library from two servers.

Maybe a backup through LAN with DP will do the job as well (slower of course but a lot cheaper).

best regards,
Kurt