StoreEver Tape Storage
1748256 Members
3889 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I use dds4 tape on dds3 tape disk?

Senthil Kumar .A_1
Honored Contributor

hello steve,

I perfectly agree with what Michael Schulte has inferred.

Basically there is no forward compatiblity for obvious reason that u may not guess perfectly whats next to come in this case DDS4 is the next technological advance after DDS3.But, there have always been backward compatiblity for supporting previous technology in any field.like hp still supporting hfs.

The dds3 & dd4 catridges may be physically alike to see on the surface.But,there muat be a difference in tape lenght and the capacity of data it can store.

As a rule of temb u can carryon bata backup on DDS1/2/3 using DDS4 DAT drive,also without any special device file to be created.Without offending Stefan Farrelly,I would say that the device file creation is unnecessary.

anyhow as for ur query, the answer is no,because u cannot mount a DDS4 catridge on a DDS1/2/3 DAT drive ,as they are not forward compatible...
Let your effort be such, the very words to define it, by a layman - would sound like a "POETRY" ;)
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

One more point to note:
DDS1 DATs can't be written using a DDS4 drive. but u can read from a DDS1 dat using a DDS4 drive

regds
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,
Hello,

"nope. To clarify;

1. You cannot physically use a DDS4 tape (150m) in a non DDS4 drive - it simply gets spat out (regardless of how you wrote to it).

2. If you need to use a tape in a DDS4 drive on a DDS3 or DDS2 drive then my earlier reply is how to do it - use a DSS2 (120m) or DDS3 (125m) tape in your DDS4 drive, create a special device file to write to it, then you can remove it and put in a DDS3 drive and read it fine."

Stefan, this guy needs to read a DDS4 tape into a DDS3 drive. From what you said above (no. 1), no matter what you do, it will get spat out. And I agree with you.

So, NO, you cannot use a DDS4 tape in a DDS3 drive.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

To clear some confusions, Vincent is right it does not work.
The simply answer here is, the DDS media is responsible in which format the tape drive will write. The only thing you can define with the device file is, if it is written with or without compression. Most drives are backward compatible, but it might not be recommended to use. The reason is that the lower density tape is different in thickness, material, etc, this might results in higher wear on the heads and drive.
Here a WebPages, which shows which media can be used in which drive: http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/storagemedia/tape_dds/compatibility.html

I hope it helps to this confusion,
Ralf.
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Confusion abounds.

What Stephan was saying was that a DDS3 tape can be used in a DDS4 Drive. if you follow his instructions, then you can also take that same tape and use it in a DDS3 drive.

You cannot use a DDS4 tape in a DDF3 drive.

Josh
What are the chances...
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

maybe you can tell us, if we confused you more or made the issue clear.

thanks,

Michael
Kevin Hsui

if i use a dds3 tape in a dds4 drive to backup something files, then i use a dds3 tape drive on diff box to restore the dds3 tape made from dds4 drive. will this work?

kevin.hsui@trizetto.com

Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Kevin, yes it will work

The DDS family is backwards compatible, so DDS 4 can write/read DDS4, DDS3 and DDS2 tapes and read DDS1 tapes. When it writes DDS3 tapes it writes DDS3 format, likewise DDS2 etc. Hence a DDS3 tape written in a DDS4 drive can be read by a DDS3 drive and of course a DDS3 tape written by a DDS3 drive can be read by a DDS4 drive.

What a convoluted thread, so easily solved by posting the following link showing DDS tape/drive compatibility.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=63890&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=lpg50457

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
D. Melander

Also, using a larger tape (i.e. 125m) in an unsupported drive can cause mis-alignments in the mech. Not suggested.