StoreEver Tape Storage
1753844 Members
7489 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can an HP Ultrium-1 Tape drive take profit of the capacity of a Ultrium-2 cartridge ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
CAS_2
Valued Contributor

Can an HP Ultrium-1 Tape drive take profit of the capacity of a Ultrium-2 cartridge ?

Hi

That is the question. Ultrium-2 (i.e., LTO-2) tape cartridges can hold more info than LTO ones.

I guess this is due that LTO-2 doubles the density of LTO's, not due that LTO-2 tape length is 2x LTO's. (please, if I'm wrong, post right info).

I know Ultrim-2 tape drives can handle LTO cartridges (backward compatibility). But my question is:
In the case in LTO-2 tape cartridges can be used in Ultrium-1 tape drives, can Ultrium-1 tape drives take profit of that 2x density ? I think they cannot.

I'd appreciate your answers.
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can an HP Ultrium-1 Tape drive take profit of the capacity of a Ultrium-2 cartridge ?

No, that is typically NOT possible.

I know it is definitely NOT true for DDS drives.

Tapes drives are not forward compatible.
CAS_2
Valued Contributor

Re: Can an HP Ultrium-1 Tape drive take profit of the capacity of a Ultrium-2 cartridge ?

I've found matrix compatibility at

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/storagemedia/tape_ultrium/compatibility.html

This page shows 400 GB cartridges are not recommended for my HP Ultrium 2/20 library.