1748150 Members
3593 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't reflash Fibre Channel Tape CTRL

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Can't reflash Fibre Channel Tape CTRL

I need to bring our FCTC up from c9815 to c9913a for ARCServe, but can't console in. Have tried to make an RJ-11 to DB9 cable by following the pin-outs - no joy. I put the FCTC on a hub with a PC set to 1.1.1.2/24 but can't telnet/ping it... TSMC will try to flash it but fails with Illegal request[5] - Any other way in? Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The manual specifies the default IP address as 1.1.1.1, MASK 255.255.255.0, I gave up on the rs232 connection. Configure a PC to that subnet, and telnet in. LOGIN: root PW: password
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply - I went back to the Pin out & found my RJ-45 to db9 had 2 gnds twisted together. With a 6 wire RJ-11 cable (hard to find!), 2 busted open RJ-45/db9 adapters, & a MultiMeter, I finally twisted the right set of wires together & flashed the firmware through this kludge. I discovered it was not possible to use the 1.1.1.1/24: the ver C9815 console listed the ether port as "Future use"!, I could not config it & the port was disabled until I flashed the upgrade. Who'd a thunk it?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Currently, support for Digital Alpha and higher-end Storageworks products is not on this forum. If you are in the US or Canada, call 1-800-354-9000. If you are elsewhere, please contact our nearest offices for support information or check any service contracts you may have for the product in question.