New Discussion юеВ

Compaq 20/40 DDS tape backup errors under Windows 2003 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Russell Graham

Compaq 20/40 DDS tape backup errors under Windows 2003 server

The Environment:
----------------
I have a ML350 server with a "Compaq DDS4 20/40 GB tape drive" (SDT-10000) in it.

I have recently upgraded from W2K server to Windows 2003 Server, after which the tape drive does not work (All other aspects of the hardware & software seem ok).
The ML350 BIOS (05/30/2003) is current, as is the tape firmware (v1.16).

The tape device currently has a default Microsoft driver (v 5.2.3790.0, dated 1/Oct/2002).
The only other driver I could find was from Compaq was dated 2001.
The following problems occur under either of these versions of the tape driver.

The Problem:
------------
Prior to the upgrade to Windows 2003 server, the tape device functioned correctly.
I then upgraded to Windows 2003 server and got the following problem.
The system BIOS and tape drive firmware were then upgraded in efforts to fix the problem.

When I try to back up to the tape using the standard Windows Backup Utility, I get a pop-up window with the following error:
"The device reported an error on a request to MS_UpdateNtmsOmidInfo. Error reported: 11. There may be a hardware error or media problem. Please check the system event log for relevant Failures."
When I click "ok" on this window, I get another pop-up window with:
"An inconsistency was encountered on the media in 4mm DDS. Do not append to this media."

The text in the Backup Utility report is:
"Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: 4mm DDS
Media name: "2004-08-16 Test"

The device reported an error on a request to MS_UpdateNtmsOmidInfo.
Error reported: 11.
There may be a hardware or media problem.
Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
An inconsistency was encountered on the media in 4mm DDS. Do not append to this media.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 16/Aug/2004 at 10:00.
Directories: 0
Files: 0
Bytes: 0
Time: 1 second

Error: C: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access."

The Event Viewer Application log has 2 entries, one for a start and one for an end ntbackup operation. Both entries only say "Warnings or errors were encountered.
Consult the backup report for more details."

I have also installed the utility "hp Storageworks library and tape tools Version 3.5 (Hotfix 1)" and run all of the tests listed.
All tests are successful.
From this I assume that the hardware is working ok.

I have tried several DDS tapes, both DDS4 and DDS3.

I am working from an administrator account and have full access to the folders that are in the backup set.

Help Required:
--------------
Any ideas on what to try next?

Is there another driver, a patch or what...?
8 REPLIES 8
Carlos Pires_2

Re: Compaq 20/40 DDS tape backup errors under Windows 2003 server

I have exactly the same problem, altough with Dlt 40/80 Drive, with server 2003, but...
doenst happen always....
Have you reached an answer?

Thanks

Solrac Serip

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

be sure to have installed last service pack for Proliant, and then check also this doc if it apply:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264969.htm
Russell Graham

The system had an evaluation version of Veritas Backup Exec 8.x installed. I had never used it and the trial period had expired.
Veritas was present and didn't cause a problem under Windows Server 2000.
Anyway, I de-installed Veritas, rebooted and now the backup works. I'll set up a daily backup schedule to prove it, but for now it looks good.
Thanks to Marino for the last posting with the Veritas file reference. It gave me another option to explore.
I did not worry about a service pack update for the Proliant, but will look at this as part of normal maintenance.
Carlos Pires_2

Today i├В┬┤v got the same message, but only happens with automated backup, if i start a normal backup (manually) it works fine.

This problems started a few days ago, could it be rellationed with an windows update?

It was working fine with server 2003, and with the Ms Backup.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Carlos,

I mean soft pack, the hp update, not the Windows upgrade,
this error has been reported also as related to chipset drivers that need to be updated.
Russell Graham

Since my last post, I have successfully performed manual backups and the last 3 nights automated backups have worked.
However, I do get the following text at the start of the backup log file.
"Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: 4mm DDS
Media name: "Media created 10/16/2004 at 22:00"

Timeout before function completed

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:ffffffff
Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.
Backup of "K: Data"
etc..."

The rest of the backup and verify looks fine, so I'll deal with the shadow copy "feature" later on.
Carlos Pires_2

Marino, thanks a lot for your help.
Altough it seems to be nothing relationed with drivers, since the problem only started a few days ago.
Besides that a have the same error doing the backup to a "file", instead of the tape.
It must be something with the system, and with the automated backup,...could it be the catalog of the tape?....if i do it manually it works fine...!

Once again thanks for the help
Alan Fried

I had the same problem and it was fixed with two hotfixes from Microsoft Product Support. You have to call to get them, but they're free. The KB articles are 817688 and 828402.