StoreEver Tape Storage
1751894 Members
4941 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq Storageworks MSL5026 Library

Larry Thomas_3

Compaq Storageworks MSL5026 Library

I'm running a "Compaq Storageworks MSL5026 Library" connected to a Compaq Proliant DL 380 server running Windows 2000 Server. I'm using Veritas 8.60 for my backup solution. The problem I'm having as seen in Veritas is that my tapes are being marked as cleaning tapes. I've tried to do an inventory, export & re-importing the tapes and still my tapes are being marked as cleaning tapes. Anyone know how this can be corrected (I'm really in a bind and any support would be greatly appreciated!)

Signed,
Desperate!
9 REPLIES 9
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Larry:

Do you use media labels on the tapes?

Do the lables start with CLN?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Larry Thomas_3

I do use labels. They start with GHP...ie
GHP479. These have barcodes on them that we've bought/received when we got the equipment.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

This may sound like a dumb question, but are the labels inserted properly (not upside down)?

IO have seen libraries do weird things with upside-down labels, if they work at all.

Stveen
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

I am not sure why this would occur; I did a search through the Veritas KB and did not find anything:
http://www.veritas.com/besupport/backup_exec_windows.html?location=PrdSelect

Have you contacted Veritas Support?

You don't have the library configured with too many reserved slots, do you?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

You can check the frontpanel of the library to see whether the library sees the right labels. If the library sees the right labels the problem has to be found in BE.

Leon
Larry Thomas_3

The labels are in correct. Not sure what you mean by reserved slots? Like making them cleaning slots? Thanks everyone(s) help.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I already see somethink like that, the problem was that there was some misalignment between the library and the sw inventory, this was in a multi host configuration, and diffenrnt host had different inventory of the library containt.
Do you have such a config, or just a library hooked up via scsi to the server?
Larry Thomas_3

Directly connected via SCSI. Maybe I need to re-install Veritas?
Bhavesh Amin

I have started to experience the same thing actually. I have the tape library for a couple of years now and all of a sudden it started happening on a few occasions after I had a jammed tape and I had finally managed to remove it after I deactivated the drive which was then replaced. Since then the tape library/san/mbr and servers have all been rebooted. Sometimes the problem is resolved by running an inventory on the slot. Our Tape library is in a single host configuration connected to an MBR which is conncted to a fibre HP SAN 2/16-EL. We also use barcodes for easy administration.

We have two cleaning tapes in our library allocated to slots 24 and 23. I think by default the tape library reservses slot 24 for itself and therefore does not show up in BE8.6. If you want BE8.6 to use a cleaning tape then you must allocate a slot. In our case we use slot 23.

I've attempted the following to stop all BE8.6 services on each server connected to the SAN apart from the Master. Then disable and delete the internal drives and tape library object. Then Stop and Start BE8.6 Services on Master Server. Run BE8.6 console and click devices. The tape library and the internal drives should now reappear with the slots icon. Before you create your partitions (if you have any) right click whichever slot number you want the cleaning tape to be and click properties. You should now be able to click the checkbox to set the cleaning tape.

Regards,
Bav