5086 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connecting TL891 to DL380 G2

SOLVED
Go to solution
MrKiwi

Connecting TL891 to DL380 G2

Has anyone done this? I have been told by tech. support that they are not compatible.
Specifics;
TL891 with 2 tape heads (ie a TL892 really), 68pin scsi connectors on the back (6 of them)
DL380 G2 - VHDCi connector on back, Storage Works 5i controller.
I imagine i just have to get another PCI card for the tape unit, one that supports
"Fast Wide Differential, SCSI-2, 68HD"
I understand that the Compaq Library Adapter Dual Channel Ultra HVD (157299-B21) wont work in a DL380 G2?
I realise that the storage works 5i controller wont work with the tape, as the 5i is LVD but the tape is HVD.
8 REPLIES 8
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting TL891 to DL380 G2

your assumtions are correct,
probably nobody can give you a statement that the DL380G2 support the TL891, but generaly speaking, there is no reason why a generic HVD tape library should not work with a server if you install the appropriate HVD scsi controller.
Remember that all the components of the scsi bus should be HVD, this include the Terminator

marino
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

hi

It's not recomended to connect any tape devices to a smart array\RAID controllers.

TL892 can be connected to a DL 380 server by using an additional HVD SCSI controller. You can try to get a third party scsi controller and try
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

TL891/2 libraries could have either DLT7000 or DLT8000 drives installed. A DLT7000 library would be SCSI HVD, a DLT8000 would be SCSI LVD - the connectors on the back will be the same (68-pin D-type). Do you know which type you have ?
MrKiwi

Hi All,

Thanks for your great responses.

Marino: Thanks for the tip - i didnt know that terminators can be H or L VD. I will make sure.

Rajanikant: Thanks - yes, i know to keep the speed/type/spec devices on seperate channels or controllers. I first connected to the vhdci knowing that if it worked it would reduce the performance of the array, but i thought it would be worth a shot. Then i realised there was not just a difference in rate, but a LVD-HVD difference, so i disconnected it and looked for the official HP PCI card i needed. I still cant believe HP dont support a card for the DL380 (in their opinion, the best selling server in the world) that works with the TL891 - arguably one of their more popular (albeit older) tape librarys. Ive seen some impressive racks of them.

Rich: The control panel on the front tells me that both units are DLT7000 units. Thanks for the info about the difference.

All: Thanks to you all - i think i am now looking for a generic
"Fast Wide Differential HVD SCSI-2 card with a 68HD connector"
Is anyone an expert on the Adaptec line of cards and can give me a part number?
I will report back once I have a solution so that others can benefit.
Does anyone already have a setup like this? If so what is the generic card you are using?

Regards,

MrKiwi
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi

thanks for the update. I think an Adaptec 2944UW should be able to help you. I have used this controller for connecting a TL891 on a different server and it works.
MrKiwi

Thanks,
I have another problem now - the DL380 G2 has only one 32-bit PCI slot, and that is taken up with the RILO card and i cant find a 64-bit PCI UW SCSI card :(
Oh well - its either the RILO or the tape unit, so it will have to be the tape unit,
Thanks for your help,
Regards,
MrKiwi
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Sounds like you have a DL380-G1 - the -G2 doesn't have any 32-bit PCI slots ! - anyway,
you can put a 32-bit PCI card into a 64-bit slot and it should still work OK

MrKiwi

Rich - Yes you are right - i confused the spec sheets between the G1 and G2. I definitely have a G2, so it is 1 non-HotPlug slot and 2 HotPlug slots.
I will get the card suggested and let you all know how it goes.
Regards,
MrKiwi