4973 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connecting a PTM to a MSL6030

Mark Burbage
Frequent Advisor

Connecting a PTM to a MSL6030

Good Afternoon Experts

Can someone please explain how to configure 2 MSL6030 (2 Ult960 LTO's per unit)with a Pass-Thru mechanism. I have installed the PTM, but the documentation doesn't tell you (in clear terms)how to connect the scsi connections and UTP/LAN. The units have been set to Master and Slave, but I am unable to connect via telnet to the original IP address of the master unit.

If anyone has had experience of this or knows of any documentation , then any help will be greatfully received.

Kind Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

in the installation kit there is a special hub included. You need to connect both libs to this hub, your network to the WAN port. The hub will give IP addresses to the libs (DHCP). Did you do this?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Pshedges
Trusted Contributor

Mark Burbage
Frequent Advisor

I did recieve the "internal" network hub which i installed into the "master" lib. I connected the wan connection to the input utp and then connected both drives to the hub. I don't get a link light from the wan connection , which I know works fine when it it plugged into the library controller card. The back of the lib units have 1 lib contoller card, and a nsr fibre/scsi bridge. I'm sure it's just a case of "getting my wires crossed" so that's why im asking if there are any diagramical examples to follow. I tried the http links but the first doesn't work and the second link isn't what's needed. If you require any additional information then I will try and provide it. thanks guys.

Regards
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Mark,

I have an old copy of the PTM installation guide - but I don't think it will have changed much. Basically, you need to connect separate SCSI busses to each of the drives in the libraries, and you need just one SCSI connection to the Master (top) library controller module. (Slave libraries don't have a SCSI connection to the controller).

The library "stack" should appear as one big library to the backup application. all management communication is done via the master - and the master then sends robot commands to the slave(s) via IP over the WAN router (not SCSI). The individual libraries have thier own private IP address generated by the router - with the master acting as a "gateway" to the customers LAN.

regards

Rich P