1752719 Members
5722 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connecting a TL891 to Proliant DL380

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Connecting a TL891 to Proliant DL380

I'm using Arcserve as backup software but keep getting a scsi error CPQ32fs2 parity error generated in the log. When the server boots up it sees the tl891 but i cant see it through the software, I just get "updating". All scsi cables are configured on the back ok along with the terminater.
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Connecting a TL891 to Proliant DL380

I don't think the problem is anything to do with the backup software you're using. I have exactly the same parity error problem, but I'm using Veritas Backup Exec.

As you've said, it doesn't seem to be a cabling or termination problem either. I've upgraded all the firware in the machine and am using the latest drivers, but this doesn't seem to have helped.

Can anyone from Compaq help?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I too am having a quite similar problem. I have a ML370 with two TL892's and an expansion unit. I get an eventlog error stating I have a controller error on the SCSI port the expansion unit is attached to. I've had most of the harware swapped out and am still having the problem. Any and all help is appreciated!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Good news! After much ado, the problem with cpq32fs2 was a bad SCSI cable. The offender was one of the short (12" or so) controller to controller cables. I'd suggest changing them out to see if it helps with your problems. Best of luck!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The DL380 Server has the Integrated Smart Controller . If you've configured the Backup Software for the older SCSI controller that uses the CPQ32FS2 driver , that could be your problem . You may need to contact Computer Associates and Veritas to see if the software has been tested for the Integrated Smart Controller and TL891 Tape Drive and what SCSI controller option should be used .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same problems-- have a TL891 connected to a diff scsci card in DL380.
A few backups run, then it the TL891 reports: DLT:0:Unloaded.
Eventvwr shows:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: cpq32fs2
Event Category: None
Event ID: 15
Description:
The device, \Device\Scsi\cpq32fs22, is not ready for access yet.

Compaq TSMC shows error:
Device [1,4,0] reports an error ....
Sense Key: NOT READY ASC: 0x04 ASCQ: 0x02

I have called into support but not really getting anywhere. Each time I have to tell the support reps the same stuff, and each time they tell me the next guy will be able to read the notes and go from there.

Anyone recommend any compaq support techs for Storage Works?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi there - this looks to be the same problem I was having, which I have now managed to solve with some help from Compaq support and our Hardware support engineer who works for Synstar

Symptons were as follows

Proliant ML330
Internal Compaq DDS4 20/40 DAT drive running from internal SCSI controller
Arcserve 6.61 for Windows NT Worgroup edition with SP2A installed
NT4.0 Server with SP6

I could read a tape in the DAT drive, but when I attempted to do a backup (write to tape) the following would occur.

The tape drive would start to attempt backing up and Arcserve would display disconnecting from media and then the backup would fail. In the Arcseve actvity log the following errors were displayed :-

E6300 - Windows NT SCSI Port Error

In the NT event viewer, either of the following errors :-

Event ID5
Source CPQ32FS2
Description - a parity error was detected on \Device\ScsiPort1

or

Event ID 11
Source CPQ32FS2
Description - The drive detected a controller error on \Device\ScsiPort1

I first of all upgraded all the fimware and SSD components
and made sure I had the latest Arcseve Service Pack i.e SP2A

This made no difference

After searching the web, Compaq's own support site, customer advisaries and this forum I could find no solution, it appears that many people are having the same problem - (try searching for CPQ32FS2 - and look at the postings)

After speaking to our hardware support engineer from Sysnstar - he suggested that we tried Compaq direct on the Technical support number

He spoke to a Compaq representative and she was aware of the problem and suggested the following.

The Proliant ML330 is shipped with two SCSI cables - a light grey and a light blue cable.

They both have the same SCSI connectors, however the blue cable has multiple connectors as used with a drive array.

The light grey cable is an end-end SCSI cable as used with a tape drive.

The lady from Compaq said we required another blue cable and this wouldl solve the problem. She said the light grey cable was wrong and will not work with the DAT drive.

I now have a perfectly working server configured with two identical cables, one used for the RAID array on it's own SCSI controller and the other cable used for the DAT drive using the internal SCSI controller.

The cable you require is as follows

Part no. 176607-001
Description - light blue in appearance
SPS -cable, Ultra2 SCSI LVD

I suggest you speak to Caroline at Compaq server tech support in the UK.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Phil White (CNE) - ITnet plc