1748164 Members
3591 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Connector/Driver error and Event ID 11

BillClark22
Advisor

Connector/Driver error and Event ID 11

Running into an issue with BackupExec 11d and my server/bus adapter setup. The backup "runs" but then fails on verification with an I/O error. Upon further examination I see a System Event with the following: Source: Lsi_scsi, Event ID: 11, Desription: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1". From what I gather there is something wrong with the adapter/driver combination. The adapter is an HP SC11Xe Host Bus Adapter (HP# 412911-B21) that I purchased separately from the DL380-G5 server it resides in. The server came with the P400 Array that controls the internal drives. Running Windows 2003 Server with Sp2 and all updates. I have all the latest drivers and firmware for the LSI and the P400 and I still get this error. Any ideas as to what is happening?? Need help ASAP!!
15 REPLIES 15
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Re: Connector/Driver error and Event ID 11

Bill what tape drive are you using?
Also does your tape drive have VERITAS Drivers or HP drivers?
Maybe you plug the drive in the out connector instead of in. Please post the driver revision of your HBA and drive.

Pablo Alvarado
Tape Storage
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
BillClark22
Advisor

I'm attaching to an HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 960 Autoloader (Model# AF204-63001). It was working just fine with another server running BackupExec 10 with a built-in SCSI card (had to move to new hardware). I'm sure it's plugged in correctly. But, I am using the "old" SCSI cable (Compaq Spare# 110941-001). Could that cable NOT be rated for SCSI3 speeds?

Bill
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

The cable is ok but does the autoloader have a terminator on the back ? Also tell me the driver revisios.
BillClark22
Advisor

LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series
Provider: LSI Logic
Driver Version: 1.24.4.0
Date: 2/9/2007
*Note: latest download from HP site

HP 1x8 autoloader
Provider: HP
Driver Version: 5.2.3790.2
Date: 5/6/2005

HP LTO Ultrium-3 Drive
Provider: HP
Driver Version: 1.0.5.1
Date: 3/2/2007
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Try loading VERITAS Driver for the tape drive. Reboot and perform the backups let me know what happen.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm
BillClark22
Advisor

The Tape Drive is now utilizing the Symantec driver but I get exactly the same errors. In the System Event Viewer I still see the error: Source: LSI_scsi, Type: Error, Event ID: 11, Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that the combination of the server, software, adapter & autoloader is fine, but that the adapter has an actual issue with it and is bad. I think I'll contact my vendor and have them send me another one. Any other suggestions?

Bill
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

BillClark22
Advisor

That seems to have done the trick. I have loaded that driver and all the System Event errors have gone away and my test backup completed with a good verify. Thanks for your help I never would have found that link for that driver just by searching the website.
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

What driver did you use ?