108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT 24 drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Gleason

DAT 24 drive

Greetings,
I'm running Netware 5 with sp6 that has a dat24 tape backup. Using Backup Exec while running a backup I recieved "Media Failure" with no error code. My firmware on the HP server is up to date. I cleaned the drive and then run a new backup with a new tape. The result is the same..."Media Failure". Netware's sbackup is not loaded. What could be the problem? Is it that I need a new tape drive? I checked all the setting on the backup exec program and the drive is enabled. I have rebooted the server and have preformed a vrepair on my volumes. Thanks for any and all assistance.
John
5 REPLIES 5
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you are not able to read a previously done backup off this drive, I would say that the Drive needs to be replaced. other things to check would be the SCSI cables, and maybe a third tape to make sure that the tapes are not the source.

Also, if you have another DDS-3/DAT24 drive there, you might try to use that one to verify that the tape media itself is OK.

Josh
What are the chances...
John Gleason

Thanks for the advice and helpful information. I did try another SCSI card and cable. In addition, I bought a new tape. The same "Media Failure" resulted in all that I tried, hence I was thinking that the read/write heads are bad. So, I'm buying another DAT drive as I have no spare. But once again thanks for the responce.

John
Andrew Hazell
Advisor

John

If you have not brought a new one I know the name of a company who can repair DAT24s.

Regards

Andrew
John Gleason

Thanks for the offer Andrews. This was a good opportunity to not only get a new DAT drive, but a new server as well. I have submitted the request and it was approved by my supervisor. It may take a while to go through the approval process as I work for a state entity. The process can be quite lengthy. They do know that if something happens to the present server that I have only an outdated backup....
John
Andrew Hazell
Advisor

OK, no problem

Andrew