1752315 Members
5289 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT 40 internal tape drive

Mark Learmouth
Advisor

DAT 40 internal tape drive

I have just installed a DAT 40 DDS4 internal tape drive, and am attempting to backup. The OS is windows 2000 server, sp4, 512 Mb RAM, The tape drive is on a SCSI adapter, and is the only device. The OS detects the drive and all appears to be fine, but when I put a tape in, windows 2000 does not find the tape. The tapes are brand new HP DDS4 tapes. I have followed the instructions and upadted the service pack, and reduced the amount of RAM that 2000 uses, but it will still not see any tapes. Has anyone any ideas, before I send it back and try a different tape drive ?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried running the tape tools on your drive.

http://www.hp.com/support/lttdownload

is where you will be able to get the version for Windows
hope this helps
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

What backupsoftware are you using?
If you insert a tape in the tape unit, you should see some flashing leds and then some steady led(s).

Leon
Mark Learmouth
Advisor

I use NTbackup, and the tape light flashes when I put a tape in, looking at the removable media MMC, it appears to have run a clean everytime I put a tape in, but not recognised the tape
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

From left to right you have a busy led, a tape led and a status led. The leds can be on, off, quick flashing or long flashing.
Can you give me an overview of what happens with the leds?

Leon
Mark Learmouth
Advisor

The Tape light flashes whe I put the tape in, and then stays green. None of the other lights light at any time
Mark Learmouth
Advisor

When I put a tape in now - the tape light flashes, then the clean light flashes and doesn't go outt, even after the tape has been remopved, and when I put a cleaning tape in, it spits it out and continues flashing
Mark Learmouth
Advisor

I ran the diagnostics and it looks like a power fault somewhere, as the tape drive intermittently passed and failed. I am going to get it changed and hopefully this will solve the problem.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
to use ntbackup applet in W2K, you have to mount the tape and format it with removable storage in control panel. when the tape is prepared and stored in the availble pool, it will appear in NTBackup

marino
Mark Learmouth
Advisor

The tapes will not mount in the removable storage mmc - have tried tape ware as well, and it still fails, it sees the tape drive some of the time and not others, and I have stopped the removable storage service and tried again with tapeware, and still nothing happens. I am now beginning to think that the tape drive itself is not working and will get it replaced.