1752780 Members
6486 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DAT 40

Dinarte Gouveia
Occasional Contributor

DAT 40

I made a backup to a DDS 4mm DAT 40. Then I tried to use it once more but when I tried to use it again come a message "There is no unsed media available with the selested type. Add unsed media or click Cancel to select another type.
Note: It may take up to 60 seconds for Removable Storage to recognize new media."
This message now shows every time that I want to make a backup to unsed or new tape's with the MSBackup. The problem occured after, I think, I installed the ARCSERVE BRIGHSTORE from CA I already uninstalled and restarted the server but yhe problem persists. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Allan_24
Regular Advisor

Re: DAT 40

Hi,

If your using Windows 2000 make sure RSM (from computer management) is enable (assuming your using native utility) also check the ff. for isolation:

* latest service pack
* updated tape driver
* proper scsi connection and termination

hope this helps,

@@,
"You should be working"
Dinarte Gouveia
Occasional Contributor

Hi Allan what is RSM? How can I do it? I already updated the tape driver but the problem persists. In the Event Viewer in the System Log I can see that an error event occured "Source: Service Control Manager, The HP Component service terminated unexpectedly."

Thanks in advance
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

>what is RSM? How can I do it?

RSM is removable storage management; it├в s the native Win backup ├в ntbackup├в

To make sure its not disabled, you need to go to services, if you are running Win 2000
Its should be under control panel, administrative tools, s
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

>what is RSM? How can I do it?

RSM is removable storage management; it├в s the native Win backup ├в ntbackup├в

To make sure its not disabled, you need to go to services, if you are running Win 2000
Its should be under control panel, administrative tools, services.
Then look for Removable storage, and it should say
Bob_196
Trusted Contributor

When you loaded the ARCserve software - you may have loaded ARCservce drivers as well - if you want to use the Microsoft NTBackup ensure that you have the drivers loaded from our website

here are the drivers for Windowws 2000:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=18545&prodSeriesId=63890&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=co360&locBasepartNum=co-11138-1&os=Microsoft+Windows+2000&tech=Driver

Also if the tape was ever used in arcserve you will have to do a quick erase and reformat for NTbackup to recognize the tape again

However the NTbackup program is very limited in it's function - I would recommend using ARCserve (ensure if you decide to use arcserve that you disable the RSM services)

***side note - if you can launch the NTbackup toool it is a pretty good indication that the RSM service is already enabled

Bob

[ remember the points :-) ]
Byron Burnett
Advisor

Also make sure your service pack is up to date. Below is a link to the microsoft knowledge base article that has additional solutions for that error message you have.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q269600&