StoreEver Tape Storage
1752331 Members
5735 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DAT DEVICE ERROR 58

Augustine Elizaldi

DAT DEVICE ERROR 58

on a tape DAT 24X6 drive I have unpluged the device and rebooted it serveral times but it comes up with Erro 58 how do I clear the error
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50043&locale=en_US
Looks like mechanics malfuction. If it's under warranty call HP support line. If not... open a box carefully maybe you'll find a cause. In addition you can try powering on unit and then pressing and holding eject button for some seconds to force autoloader to perform emergency eject
Eugeny
Barrie Evans_1
Advisor

Do you know if there is a magazine (or loose tapes) inside the Autoloader? as this could be the cause of the error.

[Error 58 basically means that the part of the mechanism (the platform) which moves up and down between the magazine slots and the drive has become physically jammed whilst trying to move upwards.]

As Eugeny states, if the product is still in warranty, then call for support; but if it is not, then you may want to try and look inside. If you want to take this route, and you would like some advice as to what to look for, then please reply to the forum and let me know -- I will do what I can to help.

Has the problem only recently started to occur, and have there been any previous problems with the device??

Best regards,
Barrie
Augustine Elizaldi

Thank you very much I will try the power on exject fuction and see if that helps if not I will call HP and see if it is still under warranty. If the warranty has run out I would be glad to get any help I can.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Sorry I was little incorrect (maybe mixed it up with resetting web console to defaults? :)
To force emergency eject there's no need to power cycle drive - simply press eject button and hold it for 5-10 seconds... it works for autoloader and standalone drive units. Pressing eject button on powerup will force drive to work in OBDR mode (if drive firmware supports it) and tape drive will appear as CD rom drive
Eugeny